Completed Jecht FFX Armor and Sword. Step by Step

Want to learn or teach how to make something? Feel free to contribute here!
Stabbityblkmage

Completed Jecht FFX Armor and Sword. Step by Step

Post by Stabbityblkmage » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:17 am

This is a step by step taken from my blog at http://junkerscosplay.blogspot.com/
There are more step by step WIP there so please visit! Hope people find this useful!

So on a whim a friend told me I would make a pretty decent Jecht. So on another whim I tried to cook one up. I didn't think it would be that hard, and it wasn't....if I weren't such an idiot making the sword, but we'll visit that in a second. Here is the reference for starters.

Started off by patterning out spiky things on his back. As per the in game art they are in a but of a wing formation. I don't think I wound up using this specific pattern, but the concept was the same.

Patterned and cut out the rest of the armor for the arm.

Wound up using super big spikes that I made. So pretty!

Added some styrene and sintra to the shoulder pieces to give some good detailing. Also added Liquid Nails and bondo to close up the seams on the spikes.

Support Anime! Get a Crunchyroll Premium Membership!
Image Image

High res shots and complete work in progress found at these sites!
Image Image

Stabbityblkmage

Re: Completed Jecht FFX Armor and Sword. Step by Step

Post by Stabbityblkmage » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:19 am

Added the same style of detailing on the forearm armor as well as the clamshell under bracer. The bracer would clamshell by having elastic on both sides of the bracer and having my arm slip into it.

Now onto the drama that was the sword. My initial idea, after being all awesome with my Shanks gun
was to use the foam, fiberglass madness method I made up. Yeah...well...it didn't work out. Looked like a balloon.

So I did a plywood build...shape was NOT right at ALL.

Image Image

Image Image

Stabbityblkmage

Post by Stabbityblkmage » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:21 am

So eventually I just did it the RIGHT way and I printed out the sword from the art, then traced it out onto my plywood. Everything on the sword was fabricated by me. The buckles on the bottom are sintra and the loops are made from plywood on either side. Smoothed it out with a ton of sanding as well as bondo to fill out wood grains.

Painted the thing black and glossed it. Used my paper guide and converted it into a stencil for the orange detailing then send it out the door. Hope people like it!

Image Image

Image Image

Rogue Shadow

Post by Rogue Shadow » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:52 pm

Look amazing, and I'm sure it was difficult, but if I had one little thing to change, it would be how flat the shoulder piece is. Make another tier of panel behind it the same style, and it would be good. Or fold paper and make some mache to put sintra on so that it would be actual spikes with width to them, but I'm sure that's hell as well. Just an idea.

Props! You look beastly!
- Shadow