Padmé Amidala Smocked Velvet Robe and Nightgown

Looking to commission a costume or prop? Look no further!
Heather2188

Padmé Amidala Smocked Velvet Robe and Nightgown

Post by Heather2188 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:15 am

make me a Padmé Amidala Smocked Velvet Robe and Nightgown

Gypsy Dreamer

Re: Padmé Amidala Smocked Velvet Robe and Nightgown

Post by Gypsy Dreamer » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:13 pm

There are a couple of different ways to approach this velvet robe. It is exquisite! It is created using a stitching technique called smocking that creates the specific folds in a pattern in the fabric. That is very time consuming! The fabric is probably silk/rayon velvet which is lighter weight than you might think velvet would be. It's very drapey. It's about $36/yard and you would need at least 6 yards. That doesn't include the labor to make the smocking. With silk velvet and lining you're looking at about $300 for materials. I could probably make this robe for $900 to cover the labor. It would be exquisite!

Another option is to go with cheaper fabric which will be quite a bit heavier and less delicate. You will reduce the materials cost to about $75 but the labor would still be the same because there's no good way to do this smocking - that's available outside of manufacturers of fabric with access to those machines- except by hand. So you really wouldn't save much by going with a cheaper fabric. To my mind if you're going to all that trouble you should spring for the lovelier fabric - heirloom quality!

Another option that is fun to consider - and a bit cheesier - is to have the smocked design printed onto fabric. There are several places out there that will print anything onto lots of different types of fabric. You just find a good photo of the navy smocking and have it printed onto cheaper fabric and then make it into the robe. It will look like a costume - not really like the robe but you could do it for about $350. The construction of the robe beyond the smocking technique is really very simple.

If you don't care that it has the smocked detail then you have a lot more options. You could find a lovely navy blue velvet or brocade and re-create this design for a lot less.

I'm happy to do any of these for you. You can see some of my work at www.gypsydreamstudios.com under costume commissions. I'm a professional and I'm up to the challenge!

For the nightgown I recommend silk charmeuse and I could do it for $200. If you don't mind polyester charmeuse I could do it for $150.

I don't often check this forum so please reach out to me at deanna@gypsydreamstudios.com

Heather2188

Re: Padmé Amidala Smocked Velvet Robe and Nightgown

Post by Heather2188 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:26 pm

Ok