The Armor Thread: Post questions here.

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
waynekaa
ACP Owner

The Armor Thread: Post questions here.

Post by waynekaa » Fri May 21, 2004 7:34 am

For starters, everyone who has armor solutions and methods or suggestions, post them here so we can have some sort or reference that people can go back to since it seems to be a popular topic that ends up getting re-answered from time to time.
Then people with specific questions can ask them here.
Wayne of AGSMA
PSOC
AGSMA
ACParadise

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Mon May 24, 2004 11:06 am

This link was posted somewhere, and it may come in handy for some of you armor-builders out there:
http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html

Features non-metal, non-fiberglass technique.

TheLoneWolf

Post by TheLoneWolf » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:20 pm

Juste Belmont from Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance:
http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/just.gif
http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/wnc-just.jpg

How would you make the breastplate Juste has on under the coat?
What's mine is mine.
What's yours is also mine.

rayn

Post by rayn » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:04 pm

You could always use poster board and cover it with aluminum foil.
How would you make Naga's armor from Slayers?
Just one smile could change the world.

Dark_Tiger

Post by Dark_Tiger » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:03 pm

For my money, plate metal armor is best made with, well, metal. Sheet aluminum is expensive, but looks a lot better then foil or paint. Taking a Dremel and etching out the embossed cross would make it look almost perfect, though expensive and very time-consuming. Resin-casting the entire plate might work if you're looking to save money, but it'd take about the same amount of time, assuming you'd paint or etch in the embossing. If you did it this way, the best way of getting the color right is using some of the good crome or silver paint (the stuff with actual metal in the paint) and then spraying on 4 or 5 coats of high-gloss clear varnish.

Either way, I'd do the little pieces on his jacket the same way I did the breastplate, with just some store-bought chain running between them.

For relatively small pieces of highly curved armor, like Naga's, I'd make a modeling clay copy, create a mold from that, and then resin cast it like that. Maybe use florist's foam inside the spikes to save a little weight. Then just sand, toss on about 3 coats of primer, and paint.

kiarrens

Post by kiarrens » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:11 pm

I'd suggest aluminum flashing and rivets. You can buy the flashing for about $10 a roll at Home Depot, the rivet gun's about $14 and the rivets and washers'll set you back about another $5. Just make sure you bend over all the edges, or you're going to get really cut up. I used it for my Edward Elric arm for otakon, and while I had to use fiberglass resin on the shoulder and a piece of plastic pipe for the elbow joint, it came out very good. Here, check it out if you want.
Picture
~Kia-chan

sango_34

sango armor

Post by sango_34 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:03 pm

how would you make sangos battle demon armor?
I love Inu-Yasha!

god_of_yaoi

Post by god_of_yaoi » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:30 pm

Well Sesshoumaru's armor is certainly complicated. I need to make that and I'm despreate to find blue prints for it and a how to on just making his armor. Some ideas on making that fluffy thing would help.

GoldfishGirl

Post by GoldfishGirl » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:07 pm

One of my favorite ways to make armor is to make a base out of plastic canvas, cover it with felt, pin on the felt, and dump a mixture of boiling water/glue/and flour paste over it. It works very well and is tres sturdy.
Nevermind the furthermore, the plea is self defense.

Laura92

Post by Laura92 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:48 am

waaa! my favorite armor method is very easy, and quite fun actually.

All you do is get (depending on the amount of armor you need to make) roughly ten billion sheets of fun foam. I used brown for bronze armor, gray for silver armor, and a darkish yellow for gold. Just cut it into the shape you want, and then make little versions of the big shape you just did. Glue those on like you would shingles, one a little underneath the other. After that, get some puffy paint and make a line around the edges so it looks like a weld (its really cool looking at the end!!)

Once done with that, go outside and spray paint these bitches with either bronze, chrome/silver or gold paint. Do both sides, since it looks really crappy to have this awesome looking outside and then a fun foam inside (not very threatening!!!) so do that. Then after it dries, you can put on elastic or ties so you can wear it, and enjoy. Looks v. chic. If you need an example, go to my page here and my Samurai Yuna is COVERED in this bronze foam armor. Check it out.
See me at: Kamecon '04 (Feb28, NH) ~ Anime Boston '04 (Apr9-11, MA) ~ PortconMaine '04 (June 17 only, ME) ~ Connecticon '04 (July 18, CT.) ~ Arisia '05 (Jan 16?, MA) ~ Kamecon '05 (Feb, NH) ~ AnimeBoston '05 (May 11-13, MA) ~ PortconMaine '05 (June24-27, ME) ~ Connecticon '05 (July, CT)

|c|o|s|p|L|a|y| is my anti-drug!

Shinigami-X

Post by Shinigami-X » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:01 am

That sounds very time consuming. >.< *looks around* Oh crap! School!!!!!

ohayo_vampire

help me pwease

Post by ohayo_vampire » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:31 pm

Can anyone tell me how to make Sora's (Kingdom Hearts) key-sword?
Some days pass right on by, like rain from a black forest, seeing shadows walk in rows, do you really think I can follow? ~Mandy-chan~

Uke Eiri

Post by Uke Eiri » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:00 am

Does anyone know how to attach armor made of plaster to lycra. It's for a plugsuit so it has to be removeable.

Sojiro Seta

Post by Sojiro Seta » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:53 pm

Could anyone help me here I need Rogues Armor from Ragnarok Online, and a Hunter Nin Mask. My topic is below.

viewtopic.php?t=1711

ddrfreakri

Post by ddrfreakri » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:23 pm

I need help on how to make Alphonse Elric Armor! Can anyone help me out :lol: I need to finsih it by 40 days

Shiyoku

Post by Shiyoku » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:29 pm

Laura92 wrote:waaa! my favorite armor method is very easy, and quite fun actually.

All you do is get (depending on the amount of armor you need to make) roughly ten billion sheets of fun foam. I used brown for bronze armor, gray for silver armor, and a darkish yellow for gold. Just cut it into the shape you want, and then make little versions of the big shape you just did. Glue those on like you would shingles, one a little underneath the other. After that, get some puffy paint and make a line around the edges so it looks like a weld (its really cool looking at the end!!)

Once done with that, go outside and spray paint these bitches with either bronze, chrome/silver or gold paint. Do both sides, since it looks really crappy to have this awesome looking outside and then a fun foam inside (not very threatening!!!) so do that. Then after it dries, you can put on elastic or ties so you can wear it, and enjoy. Looks v. chic. If you need an example, go to my page here and my Samurai Yuna is COVERED in this bronze foam armor. Check it out.
This is craft foam right? Because I need to make shoulder armour, and yeah I am cluless. Will it bend easily though? I heard it does but doesn't look that crappy. Oh, and...what is puffy paint? >_<**Is such an ametuar** lol thanks.

x

Hektick

Post by Hektick » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:49 pm

how can i make ichigo's sword(bleach) wichis like 5 feet long?!- :?:

Dalailiam

Post by Dalailiam » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:58 am

Ok, my advice to Everyone who's making armor is to remember 2 things...

1) keep it as Light as possible. This usually means using foam, cardboard, plastic, Fiberglass, and sometimes even Paper machette(sp) and Paperclay. From personal experience, I can say that you do NOT want to be lugging around alot of metal or wood.

2) Keep it as well ventilated as possible. You'll be waring this around a hot con for atleast a day(if not 3) You don't want to smell like you've been at a con though. Most armor isn't very breathable, so at best, minimize skin contact, and leave a breath hole or two.

My personal reccomendation for any little baubles right now is to construct as much of it out of Craft foam and paperclay as possible. then give it a light brushing of fiberglass resin for rigidity (Don't include Fiberglass cloth or mesh unless your experineced) It's going to cut down on the weight alot... and if AT ALL possible put some cloth between it and you. :)

clover_keat

Vincent Valentine Armor.

Post by clover_keat » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:25 pm

I need to make Vincent's armor claw & boot covers from Advent Chidren. If any one has any ideas of DURABLE materials to use, please tell me.
I don't mind making it out of metal, but I'd like to know how, can anyone help?(send me a reply by mail :wink: )

Miri

Post by Miri » Thu May 18, 2006 7:54 pm

rayn wrote:You could always use poster board and cover it with aluminum foil.
How would you make Naga's armor from Slayers?
I made my Naga armor out of styrophoam covered by black postboard. It looked nice, but it didn't last very long. :/

I suggest using phoam paper for the most part, it's flexable and can look great when it's finished. I used that for Cammy White's red armor gloves, and they came out alright. :3
"Be who you are and say how you feel, for those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Dr. Seuss

shaowebb

Post by shaowebb » Tue May 30, 2006 9:22 am

Heres how to make a FUNCTIONAL Cloud shoulder armor from the FF7 game. Modify my instructions for other pieces.

Youll need
a ball $1
fiberweave $5
fiberglass resin $16
vinyl spackle $2
sand paper $2
foam brushes $ .50
hot glue (its hot glue!)
some large bolts and springs $5
chrome paint $1.69

Fiberweave and fiberglass resin are found at lowes and home depot near paint in the adhesives section. There used for patching bathtubs.
Heres how you use them. Take the weave (its like a pabric only its woven fiberglass) cut it into small squares. Pour some resin in a pan and squirt a decent amount of hardener (dont be stingy or itll take forever to harden.)

WEAR GLOVES FOR THIS PART.
Brush resin on ech strip and cover the ball with them. When its covered and hardens youll have a fiberglass ball with bit of a cloth looking pattern all over it.
Next take the vinyl spackle (better than regular spackle!) and spread it all over the ball as smoothly as possible. This is to help get rid of any texture from the cloth and to smooth out any lumps. Plus this stuffs cheap!
Sand it smooth.
Take some large bolts and slide the springs around them then hot glue these all around the ball.
Chrome paint it with chrome spray paint $1.69 a can at walmart.

TA DA! You now have a FUNCTIONAL piece of armor. Simply use a drill bit on a dremel to saw off excess ball shape till itll work as shoulder armor and hot glue it to your costume (or to a harness).

NOTE: if this is too much to try to deal with just get some plaster of paris strips at a craft store and cover the ball with it. It wont be real armor but itll look right
Never give up

MagicalCosplayerGirlAngel

Post by MagicalCosplayerGirlAngel » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:16 pm

Would a thick layer of well-made sculpey work for armor? (sorry if it's incorrectly spelled. ^^'') Y'know, the stuff you mold and crap, then bake it and voila, it's hard. ^^'

I need it for the shoulders. ^^'
"Eien ni ichiban utsukushiku kagayaku hoshi dayo." (You are the star that shines most beautifully forever.)
~Chiba Mamoru from the last episode of Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Sailor Stars

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:33 pm

I think Sculpy (yah, however it's spelled!) would be too heavy and brittle, not to mention expensive. Wonderflex, paperclay, papier-mache, plastic food containers or kids' toys that have the basic shape you need....any of these would be better choices.

M_Ring_Grl

Post by M_Ring_Grl » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:22 pm

Could someone give me tips on how to make Lenneth Valkyrie's armor out of sturdy, but inexpensive materials? ^^;; I'm on a bit of a budget here...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/w ... yrie03.jpg

beautifuldreamer1289
Location: 0.o why do YOU want to know? stay away from me you stalker! *runs and hides*

Post by beautifuldreamer1289 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:29 am

does anyone know where i can get relatively cheap chainmail? im small, so you would think a commission wouldnt be that big a deal... but no, 200 dollars for just a half shirt is a bit much.

or else, anyone know something (besides that annoying fabric stuff) that is good imitation chainmail? like plastic chainmail or something...

if it makes any difference, i would *prefer* for it to be aluminum, which is ALOT lighter than steel...
i would put something deep and meaningful here...

but im too lazy.

that and i dont really have anything deep or meaningful to say

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:42 am

Chain mail is expensive because of how it's made. Someone has to link together individual rings of metal to create the item so even if it's a small piece, it still had to begin as just a pile of separate little metal rings that have to be linked together one by one.

Some possible alternatives might include fashioning your own shirt with a fireplace mesh or the stuff used in range hood filters. Here are 2 examples:

http://www.masewa-wiremesh.com/wiremesh ... screen.htm

http://www.rangehoodfiltersinc.com/?gcl ... gAodESnIhQ

I don't vouch for either of those sites, but they just have the pictures of what I'm talking about. Neither of those materials will drape as well as actual chain mail, but they might be ok substitutes for costume purposes.

Not sure which "annoying fabric" you're referring to, but maybe a metallic fishnet would give a decent effect. Like this only in black or gray: novelty net/mesh fabric.

Good luck in your search. :)

xXxBlackxAbyssxXx

Post by xXxBlackxAbyssxXx » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:07 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what materials I need to make FFAC Vincents claw and he cheapest and most easy to work with? Please and thanks!!
I will live with my sorrow.
I will live in my own life.
I will defeat sorrow in this place.
I don't know when it will be,
but someday I will conquer it
and I will do it without
FALSE HOPE

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:19 pm

You'll probably find some good ideas here:
http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking_vincent.html

dragongirl11

Post by dragongirl11 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:29 am

Hi, I need to know how to make the armor ( the two front pieces and shoulder armor)for Princess Zelda from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. any ideas or directions?

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:15 pm

Not sure if this Zelda armor is the same thing you're asking about, but this link might be a good starting place: http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking_patterns.html

You can use whatever material you want, of course, but at least it gives you an idea for patterning and whatnot.

jinnownzu

Post by jinnownzu » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:39 pm

GoldfishGirl wrote:One of my favorite ways to make armor is to make a base out of plastic canvas, cover it with felt, pin on the felt, and dump a mixture of boiling water/glue/and flour paste over it. It works very well and is tres sturdy.
what's the glue/flour/water mixture for? is it to create a smooth, paint-able surface?

dragongirl11

Post by dragongirl11 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:29 am

mrs.tomoe wrote:Not sure if this Zelda armor is the same thing you're asking about, but this link might be a good starting place: http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking_patterns.html

You can use whatever material you want, of course, but at least it gives you an idea for patterning and whatnot.
Oh, thanks!

TsukikoAiko

Post by TsukikoAiko » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:50 pm

Here is a website with a tutorial for craft foam armor. It's alot like Amethyst Angel's but without having to cover the foam in plastic.

http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costum ... sdeep.html

Technopoptart

Post by Technopoptart » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:07 am

cheap sorta but plyable armour.. use silver PVC vinyl. it will stay in shape, is stiff yet you can still move..and it also comes in gold and black...
and..the best part..ITS LIGHT WEIGHT!

Ryozu Miazaki

Post by Ryozu Miazaki » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:56 pm

shaowebb wrote:Heres how to make a FUNCTIONAL Cloud shoulder armor from the FF7 game. Modify my instructions for other pieces.

Youll need
a ball $1
fiberweave $5
fiberglass resin $16
vinyl spackle $2
sand paper $2
foam brushes $ .50
hot glue (its hot glue!)
some large bolts and springs $5
chrome paint $1.69

Fiberweave and fiberglass resin are found at lowes and home depot near paint in the adhesives section. There used for patching bathtubs.
Heres how you use them. Take the weave (its like a pabric only its woven fiberglass) cut it into small squares. Pour some resin in a pan and squirt a decent amount of hardener (dont be stingy or itll take forever to harden.)

WEAR GLOVES FOR THIS PART.
Brush resin on ech strip and cover the ball with them. When its covered and hardens youll have a fiberglass ball with bit of a cloth looking pattern all over it.
Next take the vinyl spackle (better than regular spackle!) and spread it all over the ball as smoothly as possible. This is to help get rid of any texture from the cloth and to smooth out any lumps. Plus this stuffs cheap!
Sand it smooth.
Take some large bolts and slide the springs around them then hot glue these all around the ball.
Chrome paint it with chrome spray paint $1.69 a can at walmart.

TA DA! You now have a FUNCTIONAL piece of armor. Simply use a drill bit on a dremel to saw off excess ball shape till itll work as shoulder armor and hot glue it to your costume (or to a harness).

NOTE: if this is too much to try to deal with just get some plaster of paris strips at a craft store and cover the ball with it. It wont be real armor but itll look right
Geez...you mean the really really big one that has the screws coming out of it?

Aigis

Post by Aigis » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:56 pm

Foamies are like...my god. I don't know what I would do without them. Once I learned how to use them, I got SO much better at armor-making. And they are so cheap too! :P

Magus_Reploid

Post by Magus_Reploid » Tue May 20, 2008 8:52 am

I'm trying to figure out how to make the leg pieces for Protoman. Here's a reference pic:

I'm going to have to make two pieces: one to cover my foot and one to go up to slightly above my knee. I figure if I bolt the two of them together (looking rather robotic, too) it should connect them at the heels. Then just indent it a little more near where my foot would need to bend upwards.

But the real question is... what material do I use? Wonderflex seems like it'd be the best choice (based on my limited knowledge of crafts...), but it also seems rather expensive. Any ideas? : /

neoangelwink

Post by neoangelwink » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:09 pm

any one have good tip on making zack armor fomr ff7:cc? i have made 2 time bouth time not very good.

leora

Post by leora » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:06 pm

alright...fake chainmail. I know it can be done with PVC or even rubber links instead of metal. I am currently jumping back and forth between these two options but i thought i would ask if anyone has any experience with either of these two methods - whom would be able to recommend one over the other (for ease of creation and appearance)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zexion (KH2) - 100%
Near (Death Note)- 100%
Lavi (DGM V.2) - 75%
SW Jedi - 75%
Link (Twil. prin.) - 20%

omegablue92

Re: The Armor Thread: Post questions here.

Post by omegablue92 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:53 pm

hello, im new to the world of cosplaying, i've neevr been to an expo and my friend invited me to go to Fanime with her this year, problem is i want somethign that'll be memorable...i was thinking somethign alojng the lines of this :http://www.genjitsu.net/tokyo2k9/cosplay0012.jpg
if anyoen knows of a site, or materials please help a newbie out
my limit is 600 american

themeganishere

Post by themeganishere » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:26 am

So I only have 3 weeks left until the Sakura-con in Seattle. I've chosen Ashe from FFXII as my costume, but now I'm totally lost. I can't go back now because I've already completed a portion of her costume and ordered pieces for the rest.

What I need help with is just figuring out a dang pattern for her leg/knee pieces. All I have to work with is Craft Foam and Wonderflex. I can grunt my way through the others pieces (and in fact, have most of it done), but the legs are giving me all kinds of trouble!

Any suggestions for how I should sketch out this pattern? I've measured my legs and tried to fold paper around them as a starting ref, but I'm still very confused! My leg measurement around the highest point for the thigh piece should be 13 inches and the lowest part (towards my knee) is 11 inches. I couldn't thank you enough if you lent me hand!
Please help :O

king-of-fists

Post by king-of-fists » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi, i was wandering if anyone could tell me exactly what FRP stands for and why is it so expensive? And also if anyone could tell me where i can get my custom Keyblade night costume made for like under 300$. I came up with it after playing Birth By Sleep and i would really like to get it made. Thanx

Thermoman

Post by Thermoman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:35 am

Hey- Just thought I would post this photo link by my German student friend. She is the WONDERFLEX Queen of Germany. See her pics to see why.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kamuicospl ... 850007913/

Although not as easy to work with, FOSSHAPE is an amazing material as well, also heat activated, but takes some practice to get use to it... since you can not re-heat or re-activate like WONDERFLEX.

Thermoman

Bonolota

Post by Bonolota » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:08 pm

What is the secret of creativity of an animator.
I am 26, I am male, I love to learn.

Stabbityblkmage

Post by Stabbityblkmage » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:56 am

Our Monster Hunter group on FB has a bunch of tutorials for sintra on video.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/258173517528375/photos/

The videos are towards the bottom, but sintra is a hard durable plastic that I have been using for the past year and I swear I will never go back to any sort of craft foam or wonderflex. Please enjoy!
Support Anime! Get a Crunchyroll Premium Membership!
Image Image

High res shots and complete work in progress found at these sites!
Image Image

Echo2012

Post by Echo2012 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:19 am

Stabbityblkmage wrote:Our Monster Hunter group on FB has a bunch of tutorials for sintra on video.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/258173517528375/photos/

The videos are towards the bottom, but sintra is a hard durable plastic that I have been using for the past year and I swear I will never go back to any sort of craft foam or wonderflex. Please enjoy!

Sounds great, i will see it
You can see the lovely cosplayers here,i love it:
http://www.cosplayonsale.com/hell-girl- ... 25_65.html

Stabbityblkmage

Post by Stabbityblkmage » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:02 am

Just finished my first rubber cast. It's a fun flexible way to make armor that doesn't restrict your movement. Check out my WIP in the FB link below! It's some pretty cool stuff!

Support Anime! Get a Crunchyroll Premium Membership!
Image Image

High res shots and complete work in progress found at these sites!
Image Image

Aeryn Zaher

Post by Aeryn Zaher » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:16 pm

Like a true masochist, I have decided to make Kamen Rider Kiva my first cosplay. I want it as realistic looking as possible, but have (very) limited funds. What would be good for making the mask and chest plate? I want them really sturdy because I have a habit of bumping into things, and need it not to deform. I have almost a year to do the costume, so I'm not afraid to put in time and effort. The hardest thing to do looks like it will be the eyes on the mask.

RainSparks

Post by RainSparks » Fri May 05, 2017 11:04 am

I'm new here so I'm not sure I'm doing this right ^^' but if is the right place to ask...How would I make Temari's five kage summit armor? Like the lavender part, which I'm going to assume is armor. I was thinking of using worbla but I don't know how to piece together the front and back

harry56

Post by harry56 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:42 am

Oh and do you have a photo of what your Satoshi wig looks like, I would like to see it if I can...
Last edited by harry56 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.