Questions about Materials

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
KnightmareTheGreat

Questions about Materials

Post by KnightmareTheGreat » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:11 pm

So for Halloween this year, I wanted to make an actual monster costume cause I usually do a pop culture costume. I settled on Mothman, gotta rep my home state. I wanted a design where my arms would be the wings of the creature and I would have Mothman's arms curled up against my chest. I was planning on running wire for structure for the arms and then sculpting some kind of foam for the musculature and then maybe using liquid latex for a skin texture. Then I was gonna make a vest that the wires would run into.

I also wanted to make a helmet with a movable jaw and glowing red eyes. I'd seen some videos online about making vacuum formers for Plexiglas and then dyeing the Plexiglass after it's shaped. I was hoping I could use that some LEDs to get the eye effect I wanted. For the body I was hoping to adhere sculpted foam pieces to some sort of body suit, and for the wings I'd seen some Youtube videos chronicling making harpy style wings like that.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with making complicated costumes like this and was hoping to get some help with material ideas. Mostly for the foam for the sculpted bits. I'd like it to give a little so it wouldn't be too brittle and break, but I'd also like it to maybe be a more resistant to flexing than furniture foam. Though if that is the best for sculpting I'd gladly use it. Does overlaying the foam with latex seem like a good way to get a skin texture for certain parts of it? Also what's the best way to attractively attach foam to a bodysuit? Have I planned anything that's too unrealistic?

Quick mockup of my design. https://i.imgur.com/pLbN6mz.png