help with Vampire Princess Miyu's Outfit

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Banana Miyu

help with Vampire Princess Miyu's Outfit

Post by Banana Miyu » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:03 pm

I am in desperate need for help!!! I have never cosplayed before, and I have 0 knowledge of sewing. Here's the pic:

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Love and peace,
Banana Miyu

Laura92

Post by Laura92 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:49 pm

oh wow. easy. ok:

try to find a kimono pattern. Otherwise, just wrap a sheet around you, cut to the correct length, cut sleeve holes, and hem the lining so it looks all complicated. Next, for the obi, just get a big wide piece of purple fabric and tie in a bow (duh) ^^ . To put the sleeves on the 'kimono', just fold a (correct length) piece of white fabric and sew down the side so it stays, then attach it to the main part of the kimono. Remember to do all the actual sewing on the INSIDE of the kimono, so just keep everything inside out for now. Once you're all done with the basic stuff, just hem the cuffs (maybe take them in a little to make it look smaller at the ends) and do some detail work to make it look nice, cut the loose thread, etc.

Hope that helps a little...^^;
See me at: Kamecon '04 (Feb28, NH) ~ Anime Boston '04 (Apr9-11, MA) ~ PortconMaine '04 (June 17 only, ME) ~ Connecticon '04 (July 18, CT.) ~ Arisia '05 (Jan 16?, MA) ~ Kamecon '05 (Feb, NH) ~ AnimeBoston '05 (May 11-13, MA) ~ PortconMaine '05 (June24-27, ME) ~ Connecticon '05 (July, CT)

|c|o|s|p|L|a|y| is my anti-drug!

Banana Miyu

Post by Banana Miyu » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:36 pm

*bows* thank you very muchly!!! ^_^

ashleyv
Standard Cosplayer

Post by ashleyv » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:53 pm

I've made a Miyu costume for; however, it was the Manga version. For the sleeves it helps to have elastic at the cuffs of the sleeves. Also the red part you can do that two ways. You can make a red kimono (either sleevless or with sleeves) or just add red trim to the inside of the white kimono. If you need a pattern use Butterricks Kimono (I can't remember the number off the top of my head and I just took my box of patterns to my new place).

Laura92

Post by Laura92 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:06 pm

I hope my crappy tutorial is ok...I've been sick lately and my mind ain't a-workin' ^^;;;;;
See me at: Kamecon '04 (Feb28, NH) ~ Anime Boston '04 (Apr9-11, MA) ~ PortconMaine '04 (June 17 only, ME) ~ Connecticon '04 (July 18, CT.) ~ Arisia '05 (Jan 16?, MA) ~ Kamecon '05 (Feb, NH) ~ AnimeBoston '05 (May 11-13, MA) ~ PortconMaine '05 (June24-27, ME) ~ Connecticon '05 (July, CT)

|c|o|s|p|L|a|y| is my anti-drug!

+Kohyoh+

Post by +Kohyoh+ » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:46 pm

you have the idea basically...
and elastic is great for the sleeve like ashleyv said.. it will make the sleeve have a natural 'poof' too... if you cut the sleeve to be large...
I want to help save the world... if only I could remember how?

Tia

Post by Tia » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:59 pm

Hmm. What I'd do is use a really silky material for this, but make sure it isn't see-through. For the sleeve elastic, you can get some white blanket binding (they sell it at fabric stores next to the bias tape) for the bit at the end of the sleeves so you don't have to worry about cutting the fabric perfectly straight. Then either get a kimono pattern (you can find them by simplicity) and cut the length of the pattern down to just about right below your knees, the longest part of it in the back and cut the length of the sleeves to your elbows, leaving about an inch and a half extra for seaming and adding the elastic.

Then, once you have all the pieces cut out, pin them together the way that the pattern tells you to sew it, put it on and mark the place in the front about halfway up your thigh where the smallest part needs to be, making sure to leave a 1/2-1 inch excess for seaming. Then measure the difference between this and the end of the kimono where you cut it before, tie a piece of string to a pencil and measure out the string to that length. Then lay the fabric inside-out flat on the floor or someplace that's big and flat and have a friend hold down the end of the thread so that the pencil is taught in the center of the bottom edge of the fabric and trace out a half circle on the fabric. Then cut along this line. Sew the kimono together like the pattern tells you to so it's all in one piece, taking out the pins as you go. Then add the little collar piece to it by pinning it to the kimono, sewing until the kimono fabric runs out and then trimming the excess off that piece. Then seam the bottom.

Measure out two pieces of elastic so that they will be tight against your arm at the top of your elbow (where you cut the sleeves to before). Using your smallest stitch size stitch them together so you have two circles of elastic. Fold the sleeve material under about an inch from the edge of the material over the elastic. You'll probably have to pull the elastic taught when you're doing this (it's easier if you do this over the little thing on your sewing machine that the sleeve's going to go over when you sew it anyways. Use half-inch elastic. Stitch right after the elastic so it's got a little pocket, and do this for both sleeves. Take the slightly shorter side of the blanket binding and pull it up a little bit higher on the sleeve than the seam you just made. Stitch it into place. Do this for both. The main part of the costume is finished now.

For the obi, you usually take about three times the length of going around your waist, but Miyu's is a bit long and will need four times at least. It will be that length by eight inches wide when finished. So make the fabric 17-18 inches wide when you cut it to allow for seams. When you have the fabric cut, take it and fold it so it is inside-out. Then stitch either a half inch or one inch seam depending on whether you made it 17 or 18 " wide. Pull the material inside out and fold it so that the seam you just made is in the middle of the back. Then do a regular double seam on both sides. Obi is now done. For the pink sash, you could probably find a scarf that would work, but you could also make it the same way as the obi, just make it a lot shorter and thinner.

You could theoretically stop at this point and have a fine Miyu costume, but if you've put this much energy into it already, you might as well make it perfect. This is kind of a cheating way, since Miyu, like most Japanese, is wearing a red under kimono. Take the original kimono pattern and make a marking on it where your waist is. Cut out just the part without the sleeves down to your waist marking, allowing a half inch extra for seams (because you won't be sewing it to the sleeves) and sew it together like the other kimono. You will need to include the extra bit at the collar for this one, too, though to make it look right. Get a piece of twine or string and tie it taught onto you when you wear this costume. Also get a pair of very short red matching bike shorts (in case of wind and fanboys). That's pretty much it. Make sure that you use the satin-y material for the obi or it won't look right, though. Tell me if you need any more help. Good luck!
It's not love that makes the world go 'round; it's fanboys and fangirls.

wingruby

Post by wingruby » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:09 am

Most of these suggestions are good. If you still need help with construction email me. I am currently constructing a kikyo costume. It has a hoari involved so the pattern is the same. Haori is different from a kimono because its length goes the mid thigh instead to the ankle.

I can send you demo pictures of how to draw the pattern and put them together. I am putting my digi cam to good use since it cost so much. ^^

Also since you are beginner I suggest that you would not use silky or slippery material for I assume that you will have a hard time controlling the pace of your sewing machine. You would have a easier time with cotton sateen
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 83498&rd=1

note this is not my ebay account this is only an example of the fabric weight

Email me if you have further questions.