Displaying Props/Commissions

Having problems with the website? Can't submit your costumes? Start here!
Tasogare-Taichou

Displaying Props/Commissions

Post by Tasogare-Taichou » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:21 pm

Hi, I'm new to the site so perhaps I simply missed the portion where this was detailed, but I wanted to know what the policy was regarding commissioned work. Specifically, costumes that I have made on commission for others, not things that I have had made for me. Basically, am I allowed to post a picture of the costume with a "I made this for _______", seeing as it IS something that I made, or am I meant to stick solely to costumes that I wear myself? Also, is there a specific format or protocol for posting cosplay props independent of the costumes they go with?

Genjitsu
ACP Owner

Post by Genjitsu » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:26 pm

You're not allowed to post costumes you commissioned for other people unless they're of you wearing them. The reason being that there's no way to verify that you actually made the outfit.

(Alternatively, just get the person you made the costume for to sign up to the site and then they can credit you)

As for props, well...stay tuned. ^_^

Tasogare-Taichou

Post by Tasogare-Taichou » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:47 pm

Well, I can understand that, though it's things like that that make it more difficult for those of us who take commissions, seeing as it's sites like this that potential interested commissioners frequent, but I can respect the reasoning behind it. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Misstress Testament

Post by Misstress Testament » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:33 pm

I had this same idea. I mean it's not like I can wear everything that is commissioned A) some people are very particualr about thier outfit being worn. B) I'm a Gifted girl and I simply won't fit every commission. I wonder if the complrimise could be that you are required to submit inprogress pictures, this way you know it's hand made.

Thanks !
Taking Commissions .I specialize in kimonos, Bleach, and I am expanding my repetoire. I have done Trench Coats. I make quaility pieces that can be used everyday :) Please leave me a messages we can talk about what you need. SanguineSpinner.etsy.com for the quick and easy kimono purchase. www.racheldesade.deviantart.com to see some of my work.

Tasogare-Taichou

Post by Tasogare-Taichou » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:05 am

Misstress Testament wrote:I had this same idea. I mean it's not like I can wear everything that is commissioned A) some people are very particualr about thier outfit being worn. B) I'm a Gifted girl and I simply won't fit every commission. I wonder if the complrimise could be that you are required to submit inprogress pictures, this way you know it's hand made.

Thanks !
That would actually be the same predicament that I'm in, as there's no way I fit into every commission that I make. And I'd be more than happy to submit in-progress shots as well, seeing as I take them during the process to show to the commissioner.

waynekaa
ACP Owner

Post by waynekaa » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:15 am

A real side effect that we experienced is that unscrupulous types would post up someone else's costume, claiming that they made it. They even stole in-progress shots so that wasn't a solution. There were many more imposters which we don't have time to police or investigate. We still get them from time to time on the forums, especially the sales section.
Another unfavorable side effect was that it resulted in search redundancy for the exact same costume, one by the wearer and one by the maker. We were getting complaints from end users about why is it showing up twice, etc.

So it was decided that we're just going to have ACP focus on costumes worn by the actual cosplayers themselves, and to credit the maker if it wasn't themselves. As you pointed out, if you're making a commissioned costume, it will likely look better on the buyer, so as long as they credit you properly, an interested buyer can come looking for your page.
Wayne of AGSMA
PSOC
AGSMA
ACParadise