Luke von Fabre (Tales of the Abyss)

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
kalajessta

Luke von Fabre (Tales of the Abyss)

Post by kalajessta » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:32 pm

I'm having some issues with my Luke costume. Unfortunally, I'm attempting my first prop/weapon with him as well. Though, I'm making this costume with my own pattern ^^; Though, I have a few questions first about other aspects about the costume.

1. How do you make his belt buckle, functional? Or to even make it?
2. What's a good material to make his belt out of (other then pleather/leather)? Should I buy it instead (if I can find a style like such)?
3. What's a good paint for shoes? I've heard floral paint works well... never used it before.

Also, any ideas on how to make his sword? I've been reading up on tutorials cosplay.com and I'm just not sure which method is the best (let alone, low-budget, yet sturdy).

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:22 pm

1. You might be able to modify an existing round buckle to fasten at an angle. Solid buckles like that have (on their backs) a bar to secure one side of the belt and a "nub" across from it to push into the holes of the belt. You could install a small screw or something in a different location to secure your belt in a V shape.

2. Try heavy twill or denim for the belt. Two layers should be sturdy enough. If not, maybe add some interfacing.

3. Shoes can be colored with dye specially made for leather and vinyl. CosplaySupplies.com has some, and shoe repair or leather places might have it too.

Good luck!

Misstress Testament

Post by Misstress Testament » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:18 am

You can also go to the Home decor part of a fabric store like JoAnn's; often they have leather or suede materials that are nice and sturdy.
Taking Commissions .I specialize in kimonos, Bleach, and I am expanding my repetoire. I have done Trench Coats. I make quaility pieces that can be used everyday :) Please leave me a messages we can talk about what you need. SanguineSpinner.etsy.com for the quick and easy kimono purchase. www.racheldesade.deviantart.com to see some of my work.

kalajessta

Post by kalajessta » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:31 pm

Thank you both, those ideas help alot. It's bad enough I need to make my own pattern for the costume.

Misstress Testament

Post by Misstress Testament » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:51 pm

hmm for the jacket you are looking a a modified trench Yoke (just past the shoulder blades) to front, shortened mod. sleeve (double fold bias tape will be your friend for the edging) with a slenderized side/front panel. Basic cargo pant with only one pocket simply put a few small pleats at the ankle to create a poofier look just above (and I do mean Small pleats) umm that's what I can think of right now.
Taking Commissions .I specialize in kimonos, Bleach, and I am expanding my repetoire. I have done Trench Coats. I make quaility pieces that can be used everyday :) Please leave me a messages we can talk about what you need. SanguineSpinner.etsy.com for the quick and easy kimono purchase. www.racheldesade.deviantart.com to see some of my work.

kalajessta

Post by kalajessta » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:18 pm

Misstress Testament wrote:hmm for the jacket you are looking a a modified trench Yoke (just past the shoulder blades) to front, shortened mod. sleeve (double fold bias tape will be your friend for the edging) with a slenderized side/front panel. Basic cargo pant with only one pocket simply put a few small pleats at the ankle to create a poofier look just above (and I do mean Small pleats) umm that's what I can think of right now.
I'm not asking for advice on how to modify a pattern. I don't use patterns, I make my own. I was asking about the belt buckle partially.

Misstress Testament

Post by Misstress Testament » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:38 pm

polymer clay. Like the guy above said.