What Would Suit Me? [New Ref Link Added]

Looking for cosplay ideas? Have an idea but need better pictures? Try shouting here!

Given these options, which should I wear?

Haruko Haruhara
100%
Orihime Inoue
No votes
Other [Please Post Suggestion]
No votes

Total votes: 3

Synnie

What Would Suit Me? [New Ref Link Added]

Post by Synnie » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:26 pm

Mina san, Konnichiwa; I've been browsing this site for a long time now, and have mostly been lurking silently.

I've done two cosplays in Nekocon, Virginia prior to joining ACP: Blue from Wolf's Rain, and Ed Elric (who I'm sure you all know and love).

Although I have yet to physically buy a ticket (PROCRASTINATIONx10) I have my heart set on attending Anime Boston this year. I just have very, very little cosplay experience, and am stuck in a rut when it comes to choosing a character.

I've seen a good majority of the recent anime; but I wasn't around for the more vintage stuff, like Ranma 1/2. The only older-school series I've watched was Evangelion.

I'm hooked on the .hack franchise; most anything that's been screened on Cartoon Network, except Naruto, which I can't relate with at all. As much as I loved the manga, I ended up hating the Bleach anime, and I got too busy to watch Trinity Blood, sadly. I liked FLCL when it was on.

I've started watching some other titles on Youtube (My favorite being Nana and Parakiss). And Kingdom Hearts is a definite shoo-in. I've played a few other video games, most RPGs. I'm just not that good at them. XP

I need an idea for a cute, fun, pretty character. My physical stats would be pale-ish skin and curly shoulder length red hair, five foot seven. I'm around 130 pounds, but I'm active in several aerobic activites, so it's mostly lean muscle. I'm very self concious about it, though, and have noticed how thin a lot of the girls here are. If you guys have secrets, PLEASE CLUE ME IN!!

I'm willing to wear a wig if the character calls for it, and contacts are possible, too. I guess I've been told I'm slim, but I don't personally beleive it, and would rather not wear anything too revealing. I've done male characters before, but am interested in a girl character this time.

It's recently been recommended I try my hand at Sailor Venus; I guess I was just wondering what some other newbie recommendations are.

*breaths* Suggestions? Drafts? Any at all?
Last edited by Synnie on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ookami Musume
Location: Praying that I can get my head together enough so I can finish this costume...

Post by Ookami Musume » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:51 pm

FLCL, the weirdest anime ever.
You sound very thin so I don't see any reason to be self-concious. *hugs* I think its a very good idea not to wear anything revealing, I hate it when people do that. ><; Even if they do have a very skinny body no one should cloth themselves with- well- barely any clothes.

You sound like you would be a great Haruko (FLCL) though. She's fairly tall and very slender, and she would probably be wicked fun to cosplay as because she has such a crazy, free style personality. ^^

Synnie

Post by Synnie » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:01 am

*meep* *huggles* Thank you for your time, Musume-san. I agree FLCL is the most random series ever; the manga is even worse, but in a good way. ^.^ I love the character Haruko, and have considered doing her before, when I dressed my younger brother up as Takkun/Naota for Nekocon 8.

It sounds like a great costume, and definitely fun to play, without being too mainstream. I even have the guitar as a prop... the only thing stopping me is all the layers, which I'm afraid will get awfully hot, strolling around a con all day. u.u;

Hm, but then again, I don't necessarily have to wear three shirts or whatever. I could probably get away with just sewing the white sleeves on, don't you think?

Ookami Musume
Location: Praying that I can get my head together enough so I can finish this costume...

Post by Ookami Musume » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:20 pm

*hugs* I think you would be GREAT as Haruko.
Oh absolutely, you don't know how hot it will be on the days of the convention, besides you can always make her costume out of lighter and breezier material. ^__^ *feels bad for people with cloaks* Plus if you already have the prop then go for it! ^^

Synnie

Post by Synnie » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:59 pm

Thankie-sai. Here's a running tab of what I've got thus far...

[x] Jumper Pattern (Modified for long sleeves and black trim detail)
[x] Plain ol' white on black Yamaha Guitar, if I can't get my hands on the blue bass in time
[x] Black leggings, wootness
[_] White Boots
[_] Contacts (Yellow, the cool-ism...)
[_] Pink wig, and styling materials
[_] Pattern or modified pair of brown suede gloves
[_] Haruko's chain link cuff thingie, which I could probably fashion with Home Depot materials
[_] Aviator goggles, must check eBay...
[_] Erm, fabric.

I thought I had a good chunk of the necessary stuff for a second, too. Then I started thinking. XD

Well, it may not be done for Anime Boston, if I even go, but heck, I should still go for it anyways. ^.^ Your suggestion will be my facet for motivation.

MIClollipop

Post by MIClollipop » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:04 pm

check at you nearest RagShop for the fabric they had a huge sale a dew days ago it might still be going on ^_^

i'm actually going tomrorw to check

money from chinese new year rocks!

but first i needed an idea lol
---so cheap MUST BE made in china---

Synnie

Post by Synnie » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:45 pm

For further reference/more suggestions. Just to throw it out there, somebody else suggested Orihime from Bleach, because I can use my own hair.

If I go with Haruko, I've decided to do her Nurse Uniform. It's so cute... if I can't get it done in time for anything fun, like, say, Anime Boston, I'll go with 'Hime.

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/5332/1080513hy7.jpg

missus_mara

Post by missus_mara » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:40 am

You are so cute! You look just like Emmy Rossum (Christine - Phantom of the Opera)

I agree with Ookame Musume that you should go as Haruko from FLCL. She would be a VERY fun character to cosplay.
Out of the options of her or Orihime from Bleach, that is. Orihime is a common cosplay and her clothing is pretty plain if you ask me.
I'd try to give you other suggestions, but I just can't think of anyone right now, I'm not the most well-read in manga and anime.

So I think you should do Haruko
You're hair is longer than hers, but I think you could just have an updo of some kind to attenuate the long effect. And since Haruko get's plenty of exercise from running around, being insane, I think that having a nice athletic build is perfect for the role. I think having fun and being confident are the main requirements of a good cosplay so don't worry if you're not super-skinny.

Ookami Musume

Post by Ookami Musume » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:29 pm

Now I'm positive! Go as Haruko and have a BLAST!! ^__^ She would be SO much fun to cosplay as and I know you would excellent as her (not that you wouldn't be for anyone else). A lot of people will probably ask to take your picture.

Synnie

Post by Synnie » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:24 pm

Lucky for me, something just came up! My local Anime Club is having a Cosplay/Harajuku night next month. So I get to do BOTH of my options! That gives me plenty of time to put together Nurse Haruko, (I've been practicing poses with my guitar! XD) and I finished Orihime without trouble this weekend.

Made the gray pleated skirt, hand stitched the school uniform bow. As always, I had knee socks and red high heels on hand. I just have to take in the blouse a little, and I'm set to fly.

I'll be updating both as I finish them/get photos taken. ^^ wootness!

Ookami Musume

Post by Ookami Musume » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:28 pm

Really? That's great!! ^^ Have a GREAT time. ^^ I can't wait to see pictures of your costume I know that you'll be wonderful!!!! ^^