Props for Talim

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
eastern_art

Props for Talim

Post by eastern_art » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:45 pm

Hi all. I'm new here. Yay! Well, anyway.. I need some ideas on how to make Talim's (from Soul Calibur 2) necklace and weapons. I have SOME ideas, but I don't know how to make the necklace "bendable" so I can put it on my neck and take it off. Here's a picture of what she looks like...

Thanks! ^.^
Oi.

Alchem

Post by Alchem » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:14 pm

There are almost to many ways to name for the weapons... whats your budget and time frame
"Guys...you realize were making gundams out of cardboard....?"

-Me, 2004

Dark_Tiger

Post by Dark_Tiger » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:07 pm

A few more detailed pics:
http://www.planetnintendo.com/perfectdark/sc2/
http://www.soulcalibur.com/history/talim.php

For the necklace, I wouldn't even try to make it bendable, I'd make it in 2 parts and have it clasp onto your neck. Here's what I'm talking about:

First, make one half of the necklace (or torque). I'd make it by making a origional out of clay and molding 2 pieces with polyester resin. You could make both pieces out of sculpty, but why would you want to?

Then comes the sneaky part. Where the two pieces come together in the back, on the inside epoxy glue elastic to the two pieces. That gives you a "hinge" that you can't see, even when your ponytail doesn't block it as well as giving you a little breathing room when it comes to perfectly measuring your neck. In the front, I'd use a lobster claw necklace hook or two to hold it together.

Then all you have to do is make all the extra regular necklace parts and you're home free.

For the knives, I'd make those out of wood, with carved resin or even metal ornamation if your budget and skill stretches that far.
Real men sew!

Tigerye Productions: Props, weapons, and much more. I can do that!
"Ebay is the best bet as they are unfeeling there and cold. " - Hemuloki

eastern_art

Coolness..

Post by eastern_art » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:28 pm

Thanks, Dark_Tiger for the info. I was thinking of doing something like that.. but I wanted to hold off on it.

As for my budget and time schedule. Cheapest would be best. But not dirt cheap so it doesn't look good. I mean, if I have to splurge on it... I will. Just.. not TOO much of a splurge. I need this done by mid-late August for Otakon 2005.
Oi.

Fialchar

Re: Props for Talim

Post by Fialchar » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:05 pm

eastern_art wrote:so I can put it on my neck and take it off.
Taking off your neck sounds painful :shock:

Become the wind, the divine wind, and into the darkness disappear..

~†t+-來~§ђǻŁǻ₣ï~來-+t†~

Dark_Tiger

Re: Props for Talim

Post by Dark_Tiger » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:08 pm

Fialchar wrote:
eastern_art wrote:so I can put it on my neck and take it off.
Taking off your neck sounds painful :shock:
*rimshot*

Okay, if you're looking for cheap, but not TOO cheap, and need it by August, you'll want to go with wood, wood and more wood. I find that you get the best cost/time results with wood.

I'm assuming you have access to:

a jigsaw and/or bandsaw
A Dremel and/or wood chisels
A lot of wood fill (for hiding small mistakes and wood imperfections as well as making the fine detail work. If you have filler left over, you didn't use enough.)

Also, it's a good idea to use a smooth grain hardwood. This isn't cheap, but for the amounts we're talking about, shouldn't exceed $35 or so.

Also, prime several times before you paint. That hides the wood grain you'd otherwise see.
Real men sew!

Tigerye Productions: Props, weapons, and much more. I can do that!
"Ebay is the best bet as they are unfeeling there and cold. " - Hemuloki

Alchem

Post by Alchem » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:37 am

I'd suggest substituting foam for wood, unless you do have those dremels etc etc... Foam can be sealed and can look nice painted..also a lot cheaper and easier to cut.

****IF you have the wood tools**** follow the wood idea, you will be glad you did
"Guys...you realize were making gundams out of cardboard....?"

-Me, 2004