Help with altering!

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
MichiClaws

Help with altering!

Post by MichiClaws » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:33 am

I'm going to this years Sakura Con. Its in April and I'm still working on my costume!!! I'm going as Mistress 9 from Sailor Moon. Thats the okay part....but what I still have to do is ALTER A DRESS ....I'm not sure how to get it to look good. I have to get rid of the sleeves, that way the vest part looks like it's the only thing there....but I don't know how to get it so that the material of the dress doesn't mess up and start to fray....can someone help me?

and BTW

what kind of shoes should I wear?
Michi

Phoenix_fire

Post by Phoenix_fire » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:48 pm

well i'm not sure what the costume looks like but if you just need to take the sleeves then all you need to do is take the seam out where the sleeves are conected to the torso (unless it's one piece then you need to just cut it off.) if all you have to do is take the seam out then you just fold it over and hem it. (i can't spell sorry) i hope that helps.
every rose has it's throns

+Kohyoh+

Post by +Kohyoh+ » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:42 pm

for shoes i'ld go with a pair that is the same color as mistress nine's dress since you can't really see them... are can you? i haven't seen sailor moon in awhile ^.^*
I want to help save the world... if only I could remember how?

MichiClaws

Post by MichiClaws » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:47 am

Yay! Thank you!
Michi

MichiClaws

Post by MichiClaws » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:48 am

tHANKS VERY VERY MUCH!
Michi

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:47 pm

I really don't understand why you're actually starting out with a one-piece dress! First off, Mistress Nine's dress in both the manga and anime look like two pieces that are actually two different colors. For the manga, the top is a navy blue and the bottoms are a white but in the anime, the top is navy blue and the bottoms are often made to be black.

So for the top, I would cut off the sleeves, cut so far down for the collar and slit and for the bottom edge, cut the edges for that triangle/half mountain look. Blah, I can't describe it. Cut it so the edges of that are spiked.

As for it to not fray, if you close it up by hemming the edge, it shouldn't fray.

After that, just bead two strings with white beads that look like pearls and sew them into the dress so they don't move.

For the shoes now, since Mistress Nine's dress never show them, you can actually choose comfort over style. If you make it long enough, you can use own your own normal shoes since you will never see them but if you don't make it too long or want to pose where you might need your shoes, then I would go with a shoe like this http://www.electriqueboutique.com/shop/ ... id=58704-B

It's simple, comfy, and looks like something Mistress Nine would wear. Plus, you can use them for formal occassions outside of actual conventions.

+Kohyoh+

Post by +Kohyoh+ » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:36 pm

those do look nice sama... can also get a pair like that at wal-mart or a payless i think...

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:08 pm

Dude, those shoes are everywhere, you just gotta look. I used that picture just because I can't describe the shoe enough for the actual purpose. Using that picture will give her an idea of which shoe I'm talking about that will look good with a simple Mistress Nine costume.

MichiClaws

Post by MichiClaws » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:46 pm

Hemuloki-sama wrote:I really don't understand why you're actually starting out with a one-piece dress! First off, Mistress Nine's dress in both the manga and anime look like two pieces that are actually two different colors. For the manga, the top is a navy blue and the bottoms are a white but in the anime, the top is navy blue and the bottoms are often made to be black.

So for the top, I would cut off the sleeves, cut so far down for the collar and slit and for the bottom edge, cut the edges for that triangle/half mountain look. Blah, I can't describe it. Cut it so the edges of that are spiked.

As for it to not fray, if you close it up by hemming the edge, it shouldn't fray.

After that, just bead two strings with white beads that look like pearls and sew them into the dress so they don't move.

For the shoes now, since Mistress Nine's dress never show them, you can actually choose comfort over style. If you make it long enough, you can use own your own normal shoes since you will never see them but if you don't make it too long or want to pose where you might need your shoes, then I would go with a shoe like this http://www.electriqueboutique.com/shop/ ... id=58704-B

It's simple, comfy, and looks like something Mistress Nine would wear. Plus, you can use them for formal occassions outside of actual conventions.

Okay. I have two pieces anyways. the dress goes UNDER the vest part. They ARE different colors. And I know about the beads. But thank you, and I'll try and use your shoe advice if I can get those! Thanks!
Michi

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:05 pm

Um, have I offended you? >.> <.< :shock: I didn't mean to if I did...but that's good that you do have a two piece....and all that...*runs away* EEP!

+Kohyoh+

Post by +Kohyoh+ » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:20 am

runs away uns way
::runs away::
scary when cosplayers go mad!

MichiClaws

Post by MichiClaws » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:18 am

I wasn't mad, sorry if I came off that way :mrgreen: I wasn't offended!
Michi

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:44 pm

Oh...alright *comes back slowly* I don't really like offending anyone here....well, unless they ask for it!

MichiClaws

Post by MichiClaws » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:15 am

Like who? who asks for it?
Michi

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:38 pm

I didn't really want to give off a name but you can read it in Ideas/Pictures: My Friend Needs Help...

I just gave my own opinion based off my own experiences since I find it hard to finish a costume I'm doing just on request to be in a group and something that's not my own idea.

+Kohyoh+

Post by +Kohyoh+ » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:46 am

hai... that was kinda not nice when that person said that... you only offer your idea

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:38 pm

It really wasn't a big deal...

+Kohyoh+

Post by +Kohyoh+ » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:51 am

your right.... i guess ^.^*
but mostly everyone is really nice around here.
lol... i got so bored i started a raenef costume... i must bleach the heck out of the costume though... it was the white back to my myoubi material... so the white has a slight tint of green to it from the washT.T
but it is a really fun costume it only took me two hours max.not ounting teh wig.... hai... i'm bored... in computer graphics class... and pondering the thought of playing magic knights rayearth on the com.... GAH! such a bored day today!
GAME TIME >.<