Any Australians?

tiny_princess

Any Australians?

Post by tiny_princess » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:24 am

hello! in about a year i will be moving to Australia and i want to know what the anime scene is like over there....
anyway if anyone can please fill me in as to what the enthusiasm is like and what cons go on or how many please let me know!
it wont change my mind about moving there i just want to know for future reference...
-thanks!
kay

spleen

Post by spleen » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:06 am

totally nothing.
sure, people like anime over here but there's nowhere to cosplay. :/
i'd never even heard of cosplay cons until i went on the internet because australia seems to have nothing of the sort.

Himeno

Post by Himeno » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:39 pm

spleen wrote:totally nothing.
sure, people like anime over here but there's nowhere to cosplay. :/
i'd never even heard of cosplay cons until i went on the internet because australia seems to have nothing of the sort.
Then you simply haven't been looking very hard.

Australia has the following conventions with some sort of anime content: (there are others based more on games and/or comics that I don't know much about)

Manifest (Melbourne - best/biggest anime only con in Australia)
Wai-Con (Perth)
AI-Con (Hobart)
AVCon (Adelaide)
SMASH (Sydney)
Supanova (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth)
Armageddon (Melbourne, Sydney, New Zealand)
Animania (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane - worst con in Australia)

http://www.animecons.com/events/calendar.shtml/004

Kannabikki

Re: Any Australians?

Post by Kannabikki » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:12 pm

Australia has a huge cosplay community! For the first time this year we have contistants in the World cosplay Sumit! Its very exciting.

Harmony

Post by Harmony » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:20 pm

These days, there are plenty of events to cosplay in, particularly in Sydney where the cosplay community's quite large. Not only are there many conventions to choose from (or attend all of if you will), but we also always hold cosplay birthday parties and everything :)

And you can always go to http://cosplayaus.deviantart.com/ to keep up to date with the community. ^^

wafflekitty101

Post by wafflekitty101 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:40 am

I would love to go to a con but unfortunately I'm quite young and my mum rarely let's me go to places nearby like the beach let alone to a con (which I'm assuming is in a city too far from where I live, I need to do a little research) Besides anime/manga fans are nearly nonexistent in my area....let alone any Hetalia fans (I love that anime XD)

Himeno

Post by Himeno » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:24 am

wafflekitty101 wrote:I would love to go to a con but unfortunately I'm quite young and my mum rarely let's me go to places nearby like the beach let alone to a con (which I'm assuming is in a city too far from where I live, I need to do a little research) Besides anime/manga fans are nearly nonexistent in my area....let alone any Hetalia fans (I love that anime XD)
Can't help you with nearby cons if we don't know where you are ;)

wafflekitty101

Post by wafflekitty101 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:17 pm

I live in Redcliffe :lol: And I might be going to the upcoming Supanova :D Can't wait~

Himeno

Post by Himeno » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:17 am

Queensland, near Brisbane?

Only events there are Supanova, a pop culture expo, and a mini con, Animania.
Animania runs in Brisbane twice a year with 6 hour single day events. It is quite over priced for what they run.
Supanova is mostly about the traders and is more focused on sci fi then anime.
Both have anime and cosplay content, but not as much as you would get elsewhere, such as in Melbourne or Sydney.

wafflekitty101

Post by wafflekitty101 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:23 pm

Now I wish that I could move to either of those places. Or to someplace like America or Canada.

Himeno

Post by Himeno » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:29 pm

wafflekitty101 wrote:Now I wish that I could move to either of those places. Or to someplace like America or Canada.
Move to America? Visit maybe. Move there? no. Not until the American people finally stop listening to the pointless fear mongering and paranoia spouted by their government and destroy DHS and TSA. They have better things to spend their tax dollars on then government departments that continually break the law and ignore the Constitution.

Anyway...
Flights from Brisbane to Melbourne for Manifest weekend are about $100 each way.

wafflekitty101

Post by wafflekitty101 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Ahahaha~ maybe when I'm older and I get a job

wafflekitty101

Post by wafflekitty101 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:37 am

Just got back from Supanova, Brisbane. It's not too bad although the only thing to do there was buy merchandise, get photos with cosplayers and socialize. But it was really interesting and I wouldn't mind going there again.