I want Cosplay to take over the world

If you want to cosplay, but don't know how or where to start, we'll try to help you out!
nikiross

I want Cosplay to take over the world

Post by nikiross » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:16 am

i have been cosplaying for 7 years and never joined the online community because i never thought about it. i'm fairly anti social.

Cosplay helped me find myself, it gave me a creative outlet that i loved in one of the toughest times in my life. being a bit of a wallflower i don't have many pictures. but it wasn't for me that i loved Cosplaying. What i loved was making costumes for my friends and seeing them transform not only physically but mentally. the shyest people come out and blossom when they cosplay. Cosplay has the power to bring out the best in people and i have seen it over and over again.

Last year i almost died, so i re-assessed my life and asked myself what i wanted to do, what did i want to contribute and the thing that came up was my love for cosplay. But not for me, the joy i get from seeing others cosplay and express themselves so that brings me here.

i know you don’t know me, i know i'm not the best cosplayer and i don't want to be. what i want to do is take my skills and love of cosplay and use it to help elevate the community. i'm a serial entrepreneur, and have built a non-profit artist co-op from the ground up before as well as had my hand in seven different startups on varying levels. I have a lot of different skills and a drive that just can’t quit. If i were to tell you my whole story it would make you laugh and cry, and ask why?

We all have stories like that. Everyone who cosplays know what it’s like to be an outsider in some way or another that’s what i love about this community. Or at least that’s been my experience outside the internet.

I guess what i’m asking is what is missing in the Cosplay community that would really help make things easier for everyone involved? What do you want to see be created and developed that will fix some of the problems you face when it comes to cosplay?

I don’t want to be a pro-cosplayer, i can’t go back to what i use to do because of health reasons, school at this point would be a waste of time and money. if i want to be true to myself, true to my passions and convictions i want my future to be something to do with cosplay. So what i’m asking you is what should i do? I have some ideas but i want to hear yours first before i tell you mine. I want to know what i am doing is really going to help this community i love so much.

Because i believe Cosplay and Nerd culture can save the world.