hopelessly new

If you want to cosplay, but don't know how or where to start, we'll try to help you out!
Elyntu

hopelessly new

Post by Elyntu » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi! I'm from the Chicago area and I want to get involved with cosplay but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, at all. No clue. Nothing. None whatsoever.
How do you go about getting a group of people to cosplay with you, no one I know at all has even the slightest interest in it (so I'm not sure where to even start looking)

and I've never seen a person who wasn't good looking cosplay, how do you get the confidence to cosplay if you don't really look like a character (or if you're kinda ugly... yea there's cross dressing and dressing up as a different ethnicity than yourself but I swear, even the not 'traditional' people manage to look amazing in their costumes)

But yea, any suggestions in general I would really really appreciate (I'm hoping to go to SDCC next year and I'd like to have tried cosplay at least once/gone to at least one convention beforehand)

sherlocksviolin

Re: hopelessly new

Post by sherlocksviolin » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Hey :) Being new to cosplay is nothing to worry about, everyone was at some point or another.

And now to answer your questions- okay, so confidence is cosplay is something that isn't important, no matter what you might think. Cosplaying is an art, it actually boosts your confidence. If you really don't want to cosplay someone that doesn't look like you, try cosplaying something that doesn't have a human interpretation. If you're into anime, try a humanized monster. Easy enough, and who knows what the monster looks like?

A great example/ starter cosplay is really any character from a radio show. Cecil, the narrator of the radio show Welcome to Nightvale, is so unspecified as to what he looks like that anyone, literally anyone can cosplay him. And don't worry about it! Just tell people who you are.

Getting a group of people to cosplay with you- that's kind of hard. Try to convince a friend that maybe like the same shows as you do. If that doesn't work, and you're not a kid, then boards like this are great. And if you can't find someone, don't worry, cause going to a con is like getting a bunch of new friends to cosplay with there.

As to going to cons/cosplaying before SDCC, there are about a million cons in Chicago you can go to, and really just walking around as that character to maybe a comic book store always helps. There are tons of people who are new to cosplay, even if you go to the con completely unprepared it'll be fine.

Hope this helped :D