Chobits Dresses, Materials?

Looking for cosplay ideas? Have an idea but need better pictures? Try shouting here!
Misstress Testament

Chobits Dresses, Materials?

Post by Misstress Testament » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:57 am

I was thinking if I ever had free time that I would like to make some chobits dresses, I have the art book sooo yeah pleanty of dresses, but now I need opinion. What Materials would really make these dresses gleam. I personally love using cottons because they can wash and they are light and breathable... but I know with such fancy dresses sometimes people want more, so suggestions welcome.
Taking Commissions .I specialize in kimonos, Bleach, and I am expanding my repetoire. I have done Trench Coats. I make quaility pieces that can be used everyday :) Please leave me a messages we can talk about what you need. SanguineSpinner.etsy.com for the quick and easy kimono purchase. www.racheldesade.deviantart.com to see some of my work.

Jasdero

Post by Jasdero » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:53 am

what about a nice sateen for some of them...but only if you know your way around satin/sateen fabrics...
Check out my site...
http://www.freewebs.com/comcos
Gaijin USA FEED THE ADDICTION!
For your anime needs!
http://www.gaijinusa.com

LavenderSpikes

Post by LavenderSpikes » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:34 pm

I've actually made four dresses from the books and I'm here to tell you that unless you are a) really willing to experiment, b) willing to mess up, and c) have a lot of time, those are really tough dresses to make and to make them look right. If you've got all that, though, I say carry on!

What fabric you use depends on the dress. If you want to make the ones that more appear in the manga, honestly I'd say go for a nice, quality cotton. Oftentimes, too, what I find really makes a costume is the details. For instance, if Chi is wearing a plain white dress, get one of the white cottons that has a very subtle design in it, like the kind used for quilting. Those can really vamp a costume from cheesy to authentic.

For something dressier, like something with more ruffle than dress, lol, you'll want to go with something more satin, like Jasdero said, or at least something with shine. Remember, Chobits is based on the gothic lolita style, so stick within those color bounds, but also make sure your dress is made with quality satins. Many you can get are flimsy and seethrough and are actually much more difficult to sew with than the kind you have to pay a bit more for, but it's really worth it. I used a cheaper sateen on the corset I made but a nicer one for the skirt and the skirt was so much easier to work with.

There's always a couple rules of thumb with sewing. If something stands out, like a poofy skirt, use a stiffer fabric. If it clings, go thin. Easy stuff, and if you ask for help in a fabric store there will be someone happy to direct you.

Most of all, it really depends on how formal the dress is. Remember that you can do ruffles with lace, and feel free to experiment a bit! These are fun, cute dresses. Be prepared to spend a few hours hand-sewing lace, but it will pay off in the end.

Good luck with your costume! Hope I haven't scared you off too much :D

Misstress Testament

Post by Misstress Testament » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:33 pm

Scared Never!!!!! A little terrified yes, but that makes it all the exciting. I am a very odd person in that I know I plan to sell these. My joy comes from making something beautiful then watching someone else wear it. The joy thet get and the happiness that other people get from seeing it really makes my Month. Mmm yeah I think I will start off with cotton (simpler a little less exspensive and harder tomess up. ) Squee I can't wait!.
Taking Commissions .I specialize in kimonos, Bleach, and I am expanding my repetoire. I have done Trench Coats. I make quaility pieces that can be used everyday :) Please leave me a messages we can talk about what you need. SanguineSpinner.etsy.com for the quick and easy kimono purchase. www.racheldesade.deviantart.com to see some of my work.

Kitteh

Post by Kitteh » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:05 am

Chiffon? Satin? Silk?

Satin would be very shiny and wouldn't photograph well.
Silk is expensive but would be absolutely gorgeous.
Chiffon is not a fabric I like much but it is very elegant.

I used polycotton for a Freya dress I made but added ribbon and lace to it. It came out beautifully.