Can a younger fan cosplay? D:

Looking for cosplay ideas? Have an idea but need better pictures? Try shouting here!

Young whippersnappers cosplaying?

Kids + Cosplaying = LAME. ]:<
14%
Kids cosplaying is awesome! :]]
86%

Total votes: 7

EmilyIsHappy310

Can a younger fan cosplay? D:

Post by EmilyIsHappy310 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:47 am

I am totally dying to get into cosplaying, and hoping to be Kairi next year at Otakon!

But I'm only 13... and I don't want to be embarrased when I get there.

Have any of you older, wiser, more experienced cosplayers seen little cosplayers at conventions? If so, do you think,

"Man what lame-oid. What is she, 11? She should be at home watching Highschool Musical, not over here making all of us look lame."

or

"Wow! I am so happy that this rad little girl is so into gaming and anime! She is pretty cool, and she looks great in that costume!"

LOL I AM SUCH AN EXAGGERATE-ER

So anyway, should I wait until I'm older? D:

Plus, what character do you think I am tres perfect for? I rly rly rly want to do Kairi and Selphie, but what do you think? :]

(I AM willing to dye/cut hair. :]])

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a143/ ... owa007.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a143/ ... a005-1.jpg

Captain Izu

Post by Captain Izu » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:17 pm

I think young cosplayers are awesome! Personally, I've seen like four-year-olds in costume. That was their parents' doing, but still I've seen some ten-year-old-looking kids in groups with older kids.

And when you think about it, it's probably the people in their late twenties who should be feeling a bit uncertain, not you at thirteen. Not that I have anything against older cosplayers--I think they're awesome too.

Probably there's a lot of people who wish they'd started cosplaying earlier--I know I do! And yeah, go for Kairi. That's a cute character where a slightly younger person could even pull it off better than an older one.

Your personal motto: It's never too early to cosplay! :D
"Ooh, me likey the oppressive totalitarianism." ~Peanut, Harvey Birdman

Seeker_of_Weird

Post by Seeker_of_Weird » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:07 am

I think you'd be super cute as Kairi! I've cosplayed since I was younger than you, (not at a con, though) and I think somethimes you have to be young to pull off certain characters. Good luck!
In our quest for the perfect cosplay, no cloud, no squall shall hinder us!

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:52 pm

I was amused by your comment about High School Musical, but I do think that younger kids/teenagers can cosplay too. Most of the people I know only look down on younger kids because they tend to be of the "LI3K OMG NARUTO!!1!" group - the kids that think they're cool because they bought Naruto headbands/jackets/gloves at Hot Topic and wear them at all times. The same goes for younger fans of most mainstream anime (Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, and likely Death Note in the near future). If you don't act like a dumb kid, people won't treat you like one.

You're in the perfect position to cosplay young, cute characters. You'll be surprised by the amount of change your figure goes through once you start maturing in a few years, so do what you can now.
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

FoxyTabitha

Post by FoxyTabitha » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:57 am

I don't mind if younger people cosplay but then again, there is no age limit when cosplaying. It is all about having fun.

The younger the people are, the more likely they seem to cosplay mainstream anime while the older fans are more likely to cosplay anime only released on dvd or fansubbed.

Amiya

Post by Amiya » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:29 am

Younger cosplays are definitely welcome! I started cosplaying when I was like 12, or 13 (can't remember)? So it's definitely cool ^_^ Go for it! It's never too early to start!
Cosplay/Commission Website - ID-Cosplay/Personal Website - Chibi-Dreams

EmilyIsHappy310

Post by EmilyIsHappy310 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:53 pm

Wow! I totally wasn't expecting such a positive feedback!

*Has gained new perspective on life!*

Now that I realize there are nice cosplayers in the world who won't be all, "ew"... I'm gonna go out there n' strut my stuff! :]

BTW, I super-duper know what you mean by kids being all "lol omg i will totly b edwrd frum fma wut a hotieee!!!!!!!!11!1!!1!1one!1!1eleventy11!!1!" or "omg sakura iz liek, ttly me she iz so strung nd idapndent n i ttly hart sas-oo-kay so im luyk toytlaly goin 2 b her!!!"

...Yeah.

Choji Warrior

Post by Choji Warrior » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:22 pm

Yup its supposed to be fun. Sadly...Iv never been anywhere. To Any Cons.

But ive been cosplaying just wish each costume opportunity had someone to take a picture of it. Ah well no use crying over spilled milk. Especially Chocolate Milk :lol: :D
Teen and Young Rydia(s) Caramel Dansen, credit goes to Namedown!