Cosplaying Idea... But No Props??

Looking for cosplay ideas? Have an idea but need better pictures? Try shouting here!
i_can_haz_hetalia

Cosplaying Idea... But No Props??

Post by i_can_haz_hetalia » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:24 pm

So, I had made it my goal to cosplay as Denmark from Hetalia in a maid outfit for Halloween. I have already looked into the maid outfit and am prepared for that, but I can't find the proper hair, hat, nor his battle axe. Since I couldn't buy the hat or battle axe, I thought I could just make them. But I have no idea what to use for the Battle Axe! I plan on using a broom stick for the handle, but I don't know where to go from there. Please help! :cry:
I love you
Thank you for existing

BlackKnightress210

Re: Cosplaying Idea... But No Props??

Post by BlackKnightress210 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:02 am

Hello, dear!

My best suggestion would to be to check out some tutorials online and see if any of those suit your needs. You would probably do well with the broomstick as a handle fine enough, and attach the axe itself after making the "blade" out of, I would suggest, foam mats. If you're looking for something cheap, those square puzzle-fitting foam playschool mats are sold all over the place, including Walmart, Target, and online! While the surface isn't smooth, you could use a gesso paint or many layers of mod podge to smooth it out.

Building props for the first time is a lot of trial and error, which is why I suggest looking up some videos on your search engine. I really enjoy watching Kamui Cosplay videos, [ url=http://www.kamuicosplay.com/tutorials]which you can find here[/url], though I do not think she has a tutorial on foam matting.

For building from the mat, you will need...
one or two squares (depending on how thick it is--they come in different thicknesses some places)
some form of glue or epoxy (craft stores have full aisles of glues that will suit any need and material)
an x-acto blade and holder or a knife
pen/sharpie to draw the shape (I suggest doing it on a piece of cardboard or large paper first to get the shape/size you want)
gesso/mod podge/some thick glue paste to smooth out the surface
paint
sealant
patience

Make sure to watch those tutorials! I cannot help you more from here other than hopefully laying a ground for you to build off of! Good luck!

i_can_haz_hetalia

Re: Cosplaying Idea... But No Props??

Post by i_can_haz_hetalia » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Thank you lots. :) I'm going to take your advice on it, and also look at those tutorials. I'm naturally artistic so it shouldn't come out too bad. (hopefully) Thanks for the help.
I love you
Thank you for existing