Help! I need help with odango covers!

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
cosmosprincess

Help! I need help with odango covers!

Post by cosmosprincess » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:42 pm

I've been working on accessories for my sailor moon costume, and well I'm stuck! I was able to make the brooch alright but my odango covers leave me wanting what can I do?

Katasha

Post by Katasha » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:36 pm

http://www.catzia.com/tiaras.htm

Even if you still wanted to make them yourself these pictures may help. I know at art stores you can find usually ornaments that are the right size and shape, and you can paint them the right color of course. I like the idea of Velcro to attach them to your hair.

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:38 pm

Over in the other thread about giant gems, everyone had some good ideas for making accessories. I think for the odango covers, since they aren't exactly half-domes, plastic balls would work. They're the soft plastic type like the ones in playground ball pits. Regular craft knives and scissors can cut and shape them so you can achieve the slightly bulged disc of Sailor Moon's covers.

You could try cutting a solid disc from a red ball for the base and a ring from a yellow ball for the border, then varnishing the whole front to make it shiny. (Sorry if I guessed the colors wrong; it's been awhile since seeing Sailor Moon. ^^; )

Otherwise, you could try using half an ornament ball as a mold to press Model Magic into. When it's dry, you'd have a smooth form to paint.

cosmosprincess

Post by cosmosprincess » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:40 pm

Thank you so much!