Suzumiya Haruhi help?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Yuuzuki

Suzumiya Haruhi help?

Post by Yuuzuki » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:01 pm

Recently, a group of my friends have decided that they want to cosplay as Haruhi, Mikuru, Yuki, Kyon and Itsuki. But the thing is, we're clueless on how to start the skirt. We went out to walmart and got the material needed to make this cosplay, but are having a little bit of trouble modifying the pattern that we purchased.

The pattern that we bought was Simplicity 3689; a cheerleader's skirt. The reason being it was the right thing that we could find. (Mind you, our stores don't have much to choose from unlike others.) As a result, we've cut out the skirt pattern and are placing it on our cloth, tracing with a chalk pencil the outline. In moderation, we made a slight sketch of the skirt longer, and a little wider near the bottom of the skirt.

Because we're confused, we've not started on the cutting part of this process. I've got someone that can help us if need be, but she's currently out of town and not going to be back anytime soon. Our problem? The con is coming up, and with school and work, it's coming soon.

My question is:: Is this the right thing to do? Or should we try to modify the skirt in a different way?

And a request from a poor girl: Might anyone have the pattern(s) that they used for this? Is it possible to send?
Last edited by Yuuzuki on Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misstress Testament

Post by Misstress Testament » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:51 pm

Ok this looks eaiser than you might think don't panic. I looks like you just need to create trapazoids. Think of a four sided pyramid with the top cut off. now just add some triangles for a touch of extra flare between each of the four sides. Trace this out on news paper tape it up nice and try it on. when it fits correctly use that as your pattern guide.
Taking Commissions .I specialize in kimonos, Bleach, and I am expanding my repetoire. I have done Trench Coats. I make quaility pieces that can be used everyday :) Please leave me a messages we can talk about what you need. SanguineSpinner.etsy.com for the quick and easy kimono purchase. www.racheldesade.deviantart.com to see some of my work.

Jasdero

Post by Jasdero » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:53 pm

ok well first of all you did make sure the patterns were on folds were they were supossed to be and blah blah this and hat right?
the only problem is if you are doing pleated skirts be careful..they are a pain in the ass, modifiying and not knowing what you are doing could cost you to have buy more fabric..and why did you make it wider at the bottom??unless it is a thing like the skirt on the anime (haven't seen)
pattens can be a pain so make sure to pin it together right. as long as you cut out the right stuff where you are supposed to and blah blah and pin them right it should be easy....but the answer to life is 42 and all you have is 40 lol. so.....yea...
i don;t have much to tell you advise ways sorry.
Check out my site...
http://www.freewebs.com/comcos
Gaijin USA FEED THE ADDICTION!
For your anime needs!
http://www.gaijinusa.com

Yuuzuki

Post by Yuuzuki » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:45 pm

Thanks for the help. I think I've got it now. Working on a practice skirt as it is. ^_^

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:01 am

That's a pretty good pattern to start with. You probably don't need to modify it much except to stitch the pleats closed a bit more than the pattern shows. I wouldn't mess with trying to eliminate the yoke, but then that's just me trying to make less work for myself. See how your practice version turns out and go from there. ^_^