Needles, and Bobbins, and Sergers oh My!

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Neptunes_Mask

Needles, and Bobbins, and Sergers oh My!

Post by Neptunes_Mask » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:57 am

I somehow finished my Super Sailor Neptune costume before Anime Festival Wichita, but it turned out poorly. Aside from sewing more (which I know I need to do) does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve my sewing skills? I even went so low as to buy "Sewing for Dummies." >.< I've actually gotten better at pinning and cutting, but my ability to operate the bloody sewing machine has gone out the window.... *sad face*
My guardian deity is the planet with the sea of sand, the Soldier of Embrace, Sailor Neptune!

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:18 pm

Practice, practice, practice.

Make lots of things that are both complicated and not.

I remember when I needed to improve some of my hand stitches that I made a bunch of pillows and handkerchiefs and stuff. Then, when I was more confident, I started to do some doll clothes and then moved up from there.
A mouth full of popcorn will only get you so far in life~

My Lj also features various Wig tutorials now!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/hemuloki_sama
Please be sure to visit my ACP store!
http://www.acparadise.com/display.php?a=10454&t=1

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:33 pm

Yes, practice. And don't watch the needle go up and down -it'll hypnotize you and make your stitches go all wavy. Follow the seam guide for normal seams, and use tailor's chalk or something to mark the actual stitching line for complicated areas (weird curves or strange corners). If you've cut and pinned well, the machining should go well too. :)

p.s. Use a long stitch length on your machine so if you goof up anywhere, it's a little easier to undo than a lot of tiny, close-together stitches.

Misstress Testament

Post by Misstress Testament » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:18 am

Don't look at the needle look in front of it, be hypnotized by the fabric. take a deep breath, maybe play some music or TV. Don't go in tense it makes it less fun and you don't Flow. Make some unimportant things like a tool holder. 2ft square, hem each edge fold in half and sew lines from top to bottom 2-4 inches apart. I know it sounds odd but it's a little thing if you screw up noooo problem and in the end you have a holder for your bits :D
Taking Commissions .I specialize in kimonos, Bleach, and I am expanding my repetoire. I have done Trench Coats. I make quaility pieces that can be used everyday :) Please leave me a messages we can talk about what you need. SanguineSpinner.etsy.com for the quick and easy kimono purchase. www.racheldesade.deviantart.com to see some of my work.