T-shirt issue~ heheh...

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
narutoluvah33

T-shirt issue~ heheh...

Post by narutoluvah33 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:25 am

I'll try not to make this too detailed or long.

I have a costume plan that involves cutting straight up the middle of a T-shirt (to make something like a light jacket). Except the problem with T-shirts is, they curl and stretch when cut...
I'm not sure how to fix or avoid the problem, other than fighting a zipper on (and the costume doesn't call for a zipper...!)

I'm thinking about simply buying a shirt with a different kind of material or making it from scratch with a pattern, but the T-shirt idea is much cheaper!

Pic of coat:

[img]http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k118/ ... lfhsdj.jpg[/img]

AnnieMei

Post by AnnieMei » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:23 pm

Because t-shirts are mostly made of a stretch knit type of material, the tendency to "curl" is quite common.

What you can do, is get spray - on starch and iron your shirt material on medium setting to "uncurl" it. This will make the shirt stiff enough to work with, so you can add your hems and additional touches.

Btw: you should look into getting this book
Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform a T-Shirt

It'll give you ideas on how to work with t-shirts

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:36 pm

If you layer the orange t-shirt over a sweatshirt and stitch them together, they'll be thicker and won't curl so much. Looks like you'll need a sweatshirt or hoodie anyway to finish off the jacket. Being thicker & stitched will help the jacket look more like a jacket too instead of looking like a cut-up t-shirt. Cute character.