need sewing help

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
reverse_alpha

need sewing help

Post by reverse_alpha » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:57 am

im a 22 yrs old guy who have almost no knowledge to sewing (other than from family study class about 10 yrs ago).... im planning on making the headgear for Nova from Bleach (pic below).. just wondering what kind of material should i be looking for, im also planning to dye my hair red and in a month (time of Anime North) my hair should be long enough to cover some of my eyes, doubt i'll wear green contacts as i need my glasses

also any other suggestion for a normal chinese guy w/ glasses? preferably something easy to make

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/Hawth/Nova3.jpg

Amiya

Post by Amiya » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:46 am

Personally, I haven't really made anything like that headgear, but I would definitely recommand some type of material that "breathes" and has a stretch to it. I think sports nit would be good choice?

As for Asian guy with glasses, maybe Kyoya from Ouran? I just can't think of any at the moment (and I'm biased toward certain series)

I hope I see you at Anime North!
Cosplay/Commission Website - ID-Cosplay/Personal Website - Chibi-Dreams

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:38 am

I would look for a ski mask of some kind - you can cut it in half front to back and get a pattern. Lightweight knit, sweatshirt, or even t-shirt material would work, just make sure you make the pieces big enough on your head so it's not tight. You could either put a plastic dress zipper in the front, or fake it with piping and a little dangly bit of metal. (Do you really want a zipper that close to your face?)
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

Choji Warrior

Post by Choji Warrior » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:46 am

Heh mindtailor i see your point about having a zipper close to your face like that. Thats pretty neato idea.