Favorite Fabrics for Cosplaying

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
bfree

Favorite Fabrics for Cosplaying

Post by bfree » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:36 am

What are your favorite fabrics to use for costumes or props, i personally love satin and cotton twill.

And where do you buy your fabrics? I usually get mine from Denver Fabrics online, they have a lot of cool stuff for Cosplayers

Katasha

Post by Katasha » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:10 pm

Your saying there are other fabrics out there other then Satin or Twill??!!*L*

No I'm kidding but Satin and Twill are mostly the only things I ever use. And they are easy to use.

Twill on sale costs the same as simple broadcloth and it looks so much better, holds seams better and isnt see though. And No Satin isnt good for every costume. I don't know how many Inu Yashas I have seen in satin and I wanted to kick them.

But Twill again, some costumes need a more $$$ look to them and should be done in a more high quality fabric such as Satin or Silk if your rolling in money. just dpeneds alot on the costume at hand.

I Use broadcloth to line ALL of my costumes. I dont like the real lining material. I find it to slippery and hard to sew with and broadcloth is cheep and easy to get. And comes in so many matching colours.

Thats my Say on fabric

COS-show

Post by COS-show » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:40 pm

Which fabric i use based on which is match the pattern and looks like similar.No limit but i would like satin^_^
COS-CLUB:http://cos.go.3322.org.
I am the owner of one sewing workshop,If you have an interest in our products pls contact me by email esuian@gmail.com

jadzia

Post by jadzia » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:35 am

I'm going to second the cotton twill. I try to stick to natural plant-based fabrics like cotton or linen whenever possible because they're so much more comfortable than synthetics.
Golden Leaves on Etsy : Golden Leaves on eCrater

"We live in a world where people who dress as giant robots and Japanese schoolgirls think they're royalty." - Rip Van Winkle of cosplay.com

Feed an animal in need for free!

Natan

Post by Natan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:23 pm

It depends wich costume it is, some costumes look beter in satin than cotton, other are better in leather than latex. It's your decission wich fabric you like the most for that costume :)

zippyelf

Post by zippyelf » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:46 pm

Personally, I dn't limit myself. I think of the character and what the character would realistically wear. I've used cottons, wools, corduroy, velvet, silk, brocade, spandex etc. It just depends on the costume.

My biggest pet peeve is when people make everything out of satin. I try not to use it if at all possible. When I do, I prefer crepe-backed, it's softer, and easier to sew.