Fluffy... Fluffy? Fluffy!

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
thoughts13

Fluffy... Fluffy? Fluffy!

Post by thoughts13 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:11 pm

Like the title implies, I need to make Sesshoumaru's fluffy
It will be a difficult underetaking I know.
Also patterns of his sash
and the tensaiga
would be most helpful
instructions that is
thanks

http://animeoracles.tripod.com/sitebuil ... 00h252.jpg

like this
-thoughts13

COS-show

Post by COS-show » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:22 pm

pics and webpage could not see
COS-CLUB:http://cos.go.3322.org.
I am the owner of one sewing workshop,If you have an interest in our products pls contact me by email esuian@gmail.com

banryuu

Well...

Post by banryuu » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 pm

My little sis might be getting a fluffy for cristmas.... Step one is to find a good white fur... cheep is good you'll need alot. Be carefull about the lenth of the fur alot of people get length and texture wrong. I'd say aprox 4 yards to be on the safe side you can always use more rather then less. (I'd say take a pice of rope and loop it around you as the fluff would go. Alow extra for the poofyness. mesuer the rope on the fabric and cut a long stright pice on the fold of the fabric. Depending how big around you want it. Taper the ends and round the tips. (DO NOT square off! Points in the end are BAD. Try not to round directly off the stright edge.) Sew ONE end and the long side. (If you don't want the thing smooth (the fluff is not one thickness allover if you look.) Its more work so this part is optional. Carefully sew loops at intervels. Be sure not to bunch the hairs at these places so the don't look odd from out side. Thread cord through the loops and tie then off all sepritly.) Turn the whole thing right side out carefully using the open end. Stuff the whole thing gently and thourghly useing tons of pillow stuffing. (DO NOT over stuff the fluff). Hand stich the remainging end tighly. comb out the hair at the seems to hide them. And you are done. Hope fully your fabric is washable (hand atlest) Cuz Fluffy gets dirty dragging on the ground. Also you can try sprying the dirty spots with febreeze I here that makes it whiter again.
Hope that helped. Let me know how it turns out.

Yasin

Post by Yasin » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:39 pm

From what I remember about his fluf thing, it seems to be pretty easy to do. go to a craft store and get some fur and stuffing. You'll have to do the measuring based on how tall you are and whatnot to make it look like his Fluffy.

banryuu

Well...

Post by banryuu » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:15 am

I would only say its easy if you don't want it to look just like the real thing. I haven't gotten a chance to make one myself but the step by step I wrote would be the one I would use. I have been going to cons for many years and just started cosplaying myself. Honestly I'm very anal about little details and nit pick alot. I have seen sooooooo many BAD fluffy(s).
Problem #1. hair lenght. Too short and you look like you are wearing carpet #2 texture. The ones that look like a fake mink coat.... right legnth but the little lines look like poop, or too curly and sessy is in the 80's
#3 Over stuffing
#4 Squared off ends or rounded end....

I'll stop cuz I'm being picky again. Sorry but easy is not correct. Easy looks BAD.

Animeisha

Post by Animeisha » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:00 pm

Actually, everything except finding approcprite fur is easy.^^ I've made Sesshy's mokomoko-sama (that's what Rumiko Takahashi dubbed his fluff), and several people have said it's one of the prettiest one's they've seen, and I found sewing it very very simple....it's just a tube of fabric with one end wider than the other and tapered tips. ^_^

There's my mokomoko-sama, keep in mind the rest of the costume's in progress though, i.e. armor's not finished yet, makeup not applied, that's not my final wig, ect. ^_^

As I said though, finding fur that looks good is kind of difficult. Your best bet is probably eBay, or the fabric district if you live in L.A. preferably, you want to find something in about a 2" to 2 1/2" nap or fur length, longer or shorter usually doesn't give the desired effect. Off white or ivory is most accurate, but really hard to find.

Someone already described how to make a mokomoko, but I do have one other tip...many Sesshy cosplayers either forget or don't know that Sesshy's fluff is looped around his arm, not just draped over his shoulder. Even the Sesshoumaru action figure (which is a great reference), has the mokomoko looped around his arm and sewn to itself in the back underneath the armpit.

Good luck!

Yasin

Re: Well...

Post by Yasin » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:09 pm

banryuu wrote:I would only say its easy if you don't want it to look just like the real thing. I haven't gotten a chance to make one myself but the step by step I wrote would be the one I would use. I have been going to cons for many years and just started cosplaying myself. Honestly I'm very anal about little details and nit pick alot. I have seen sooooooo many BAD fluffy(s).
Problem #1. hair lenght. Too short and you look like you are wearing carpet #2 texture. The ones that look like a fake mink coat.... right legnth but the little lines look like poop, or too curly and sessy is in the 80's
#3 Over stuffing
#4 Squared off ends or rounded end....

I'll stop cuz I'm being picky again. Sorry but easy is not correct. Easy looks BAD.
I disagree, like the person above said, it's like a tube. Of course hair length, over stuffing & the squaring off matter, but that doesn't make it hard. If you over stuff just rip some stitches out and fix it, and the squaring can be easily fixed as well. Just because there are alot of crappy fluffs doesn't mean that it's hard, it just means people need to pay more attention to detail and whatnot .