Hi I'm New, Can You Help Me With My First Project!?!?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
^_^Style^_^

Hi I'm New, Can You Help Me With My First Project!?!?

Post by ^_^Style^_^ » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:44 pm

Alrighty, first off this is my first post in the forums, HOWDY! I also want to make my first post productive so I'm going to ask of some advice if you cosplayers don't mind. My first project its to create a sword from FFX (Final Fantasy 10) That's wielded by Tidus called Brotherhood. It's my first project and I'm not exactly positive of how to get it done. I was thinking about a dowel base and makeing the blade out of wonderflex. Anyone else have some better ideas?

Reference Pics:

http://files.turbosquid.com/Preview/Con ... pLarge.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... h=300&w=40
I'ma bit new to cosplaying and am willing to hear any secrets or tricks of the trade from veteran cosplayers.
~~~~~
CatGirlz Rock And You Know It!
~~~~~
Tsunade For President 2008!!!!
~~~~~

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:36 pm

Hi! Wow, that's a pretty ambitious first project. A sturdy dowel running almost the full length of the sword is a good idea; that'll give it a lot of strength. I'm not sure whether Wonderflex is good for swords, but then the Brotherhood isn't typical. You should check the Wonderflex thread in the Cosplay.com Props forum to see what others have said about it.

This is a picture of a fiberglass version of the Tidus sword:
Tidus & ultimate weapon
I've seen it in person, and it's very nicely done.

Sorry I don't have any actual tips for you though. I haven't made any big, complicated props. ^^

^_^Style^_^

Post by ^_^Style^_^ » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:24 pm

Hmmmm, im not familiar with working with fiberglass but I'll do some researc since it looks pretty good. It is a bit ambitious so I actually decided to make some smaller projects first (A Blitzball for a friend, Shuriken for another friend, and An Anbu mask for the last friend)

So, any suggestions for these projects? I was going to use wonderflex for the mask since i already have a mould for it, wonderflex for shuriken and then use a plastic ball (not kickball) and cut a bunchof super-balls in half and super-duper-glue them to it then use some sort of plastic paint over it.

Agree, Disagree? Any veterans care to share some tips?
I'ma bit new to cosplaying and am willing to hear any secrets or tricks of the trade from veteran cosplayers.
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~

BlackKnightress210

Post by BlackKnightress210 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:23 am

I'm assuming since you keep bringing up wonderflex that you have the money for it. Not that it's expensive entirely, but I would think after the two/three projects it might build up.

I, honestly, have no idea what the Blitzball looks like since I never got into FF too much but I can help you with your Naruto needs. I hope. Haha.

I myself have not made any mask, especially pertaining to cosplay, since about fourth or fifth grade. I can say, however, that if wonderflex somehow is no longer an option to you, you could try mach'e. It is kind of heavy, but if you go to your local craft store (or costume if you're lucky like myself) you can ask someone there about masks. Most likely they can direct you towards something. Paper mach'e is probably what they're going to bring up, but depending on what store you're in or where you live you might get different option. Don't forget the base, you can use part of a gallon milk jug if that has more of a shape you want, or buy one of those full plastic face masks. You could also try clay if you'd like. The clay won't be too heavy if you use foil for shaping and such, that means less clay which means less weight. Make it of white, an average thickness so it doesn't crack, and then paint it as you would with the mach'e.

I'd make the mask out of mach'e anyhow myself, because I can go out to the store right now and buy it. I don't have to wait for it to be shipped, and I love making a mess. The messier it is the better my projects turn out. *nods* Your friend, whether they're wearing the mask for cosplay or hang it on their wall as it's a neat gift, they don't have to wear it on their face. I know that's the point of the mask, but often I see anbu cosplayers having it in their hand and hold it over their face, or it's on the side of their head.

I do hope this helps you somewhat with the mask. I don't have skill enough yet to even dare try and use wonderflex myself, so I'm a little wary also of a new user. It's one of those things that takes getting used to, and while you can melt and remold it, I perfer using something I'm more fimiliar with.

As for the shurikun, clay is my suggestion. Again, use foil to make it's shape. If you have some hard tubing (say a little brother had some kind of toy) and use that for the handle of a kunai if you wanted to make some of those as well. Unless you were going to make a lot, then just get a dowel rod. Ha.

It's so early. Oh well, I really hope that helped you. I'm just blabbering away, I'm sorry. Good luck with your projects.

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:31 am

Wonderflex would be excellent for the mask, especially since you already have a mold. People recommend acrylic gesso or white glue to smooth the woven texture of the Wonderflex.

^_^Style^_^

Post by ^_^Style^_^ » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:25 am

Wait, would putting white glue all over the wonderflex to amke it smooth really work? I would thiink it would come out looking strange, it doesn't?

And as for BlackKnightress,I don't mind you blabbering since I'm taking in all the nutritious tips and suggestions. I hadn't considered clay cause I thought it might be a tad heavy but I guess it could work. Honestly, I ahve heard SO many people sugest to use paper mache to make projects but I have not one clue as to what it is (paper obviously...i think) Any links to using and what it is would be appericiated.
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~

BlackKnightress210

Post by BlackKnightress210 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:39 am

Alright, well you want a link my dear; you got one! http://www.papiermache.co.uk/exec/cms-h ... roduction/

I went and found one, since I'm not sure how to describe it myself, but this site seems to have quite a bit of information on paper mache. This should help you quite a bit! I've bookmarked it myself, as you never know when something like this might come up![/url]

^_^Style^_^

Post by ^_^Style^_^ » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:58 am

Wow! Thank You! I'll be sure to read through it and add bookmark it as well. ^__^
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:56 pm

I know the white glue sounds weird, but people seem to like it. If you spread it evenly, it kind of settles and dries smooth. High spots can be sanded, then you seal the whole thing with paint.