Ryuna's WINGED STAFF

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
MtDewFaerie

Ryuna's WINGED STAFF

Post by MtDewFaerie » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:03 pm

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/3786/warriors9aq.jpg

Ok, so I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I only have one week to make this staff. I have no skills what-so-ever in crafting metal or piping to do something like this, nor do I know anyone who could do it for me. I was wondering if anyone had some simple ideas for me to do for this? Thanks so much!
See the Mountain Dew Faerie, Feel the Shine!

Shiranui

Post by Shiranui » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:23 pm

We had this discussion once. On page 2 or something...

MtDewFaerie

Post by MtDewFaerie » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:53 pm

Yes, but those comments ranged in the metal/fiberglass area. I was wondering if anyone had advice for this staff, using none of those things. Me being a novice, I have no idea in that welding, soldering, etc. expertise.
See the Mountain Dew Faerie, Feel the Shine!

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:04 pm

If you can find an old, thin curtain rod, grab it. Otherwise get yourself to a Home Depot or likewise and find yourself a thin, short, extending curtain rod that's either plain on the end or with a finial (the fancy/round bit at the end) that you like. Then grab yourself an old car/radio antenna* and some little metal or foam bits to make the ankh shape at the top.

If your curtain rod is an extending one, pull the two sides apart. Use whichever one you like better. If they're the same length, it shouldn't matter. If it's not an extending one, find a hacksaw and cut one end off. If you don't have a hacksaw, find a friend that does or go back to Home Depot and see if they'll cut it for you.

Once you have the one-ended rod get a hot glue gun ready. Fill one end with hot glue and attatch the antenna. The more hot glue you get down the tube but still in contact with the antenna, the better. Hot glue has the annoying tendency to separate from non-porous surfaces like metal. An ice cube can help speed cooling if you can't manage to hold the antenna still and maneuver the glue gun at the same time. You now have the basic staff.

Now make the wings out of whatever you were going to make them out of - foam sheets (cut and layered like feathers) is a good idea if it has to be quick. Get some low-gauge wire (the lower the gauge, the thicker it is). Again, a trip to Home Depot would help here - get some baling wire (comes in long straight pieces) or some thick soldering wire (comes in rolls). Once you have your wire, hold one end on the staff where the antenna begins and wrap it like it shows in the picture. Do likewise with the other side. Paint one black and one white (spray paint, acrylic paint, fingernail polish, whatever - but use your brain) , and attatch to the top of the wings. Fit the two coils around the antenna and use the hot glue gun to attatch these to the curtain rod as well.

You now have her winged staff. w00t. Touch up as necessary - paint it, use the heated end of the hot glue gun to smooth any excess glue lumps, etc.

If you need any clarification on parts, just ask - I kinda made it up as I went along, but I'm pretty sure things go together semi-coherently.

*For antenna, you can substitute a thin dowel, some kind of thin metal tube, the stick-thing that you open and close blinds with... use your imagination. I just meant that it needs to be non-bendy.
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!