How to Make a Turtle Shell?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Firegirl

How to Make a Turtle Shell?

Post by Firegirl » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:30 am

Crossposted @ Cosplay.com:

Okay guys, I need all of your help! I NEED to make a semi-large turtle shell, lightweight enough for me to carry, but GOOD enough to stay together. I'm not comissioning anybody for anything on this costume, so ANY sort of help would be nice.

I was thinking of doing thin plastic sheeting: it's pliable enough to work with, but lightweight enough, and every detail would stay in place, and it probably wouldn't fall apart very easily.

Plain old cloth sags and looks silly, so I'm not doing that. I'm looking for a method that I can wear around my arms (like wings you usually get), and maybe an invisble strap/things around my waist or neck. Simpilicity is key here.

Not too much will be added in the way of details, just the white trim, and spikes. Any ideas would be appreciated.

This is for Bowser Junior of MK:Double Dash. Here are pictures:

http://www.mariomonsters.com/GRAPHICS/g ... der_01.jpg

http://www.mariomonsters.com/GRAPHICS/g ... een_02.jpg

glass snow

Post by glass snow » Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:25 pm

this is what some people use to make armor and it should work for you

supplies
1. thick felt or thin fur material ( ful will be smashed down when you paint it

2. modge podge and or sculpt or coat

3. base to mold the shape to. COVER IT WITH A TRASH BAG TO KEEP THE SHELL FROM STICKING TO THE MOLD!

1.make your base, then mix a 50% water, 50% modge podge solution and soak the cloth peice in it

2. drape over shape ( use pins if necessary) and let dry ( If you need any attachment holes go ahead and cut those out)

3. either use many many coats of modge podge or what is directed with the sculpt or coat...and whalla a hard light shell..
( I would use sculpt or coat of the final covering, it creates a really hard surface)

Paint.
Choice of faith should not be somthing that seperates us, but somthing that ties us..love is the ultimate key.

tddm.org - nice daily words
homestarrunner.com <------ GO THERE ITS SOOO HALARIOUSE!

kiarrens

Post by kiarrens » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:36 pm

You could also use fiberglass resin and sheets over a paper mache base. Just make sure you're in a well-ventilated area.
~Kia-chan

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:22 am

I was also going to suggest using paper mache for the basic shell since a turtle shell is naturally very bumpy and rough and not very smooth.
A mouth full of popcorn will only get you so far in life~

My Lj also features various Wig tutorials now!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/hemuloki_sama
Please be sure to visit my ACP store!
http://www.acparadise.com/display.php?a=10454&t=1

LadyKikyo

Post by LadyKikyo » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:14 pm

get a bunch of tough cloth that wont rip or fray. take it and make sure it will match the clothes you will be wearing with the shell. once thats done take the fabric and measure it to fit around your waist(dont do the neck!!!!) and then measure enough to make a sort of X pattern for the shoulders. inside the shell make some type of hook(maybe a strong aluminum hook) and connect the straps to the hooks. for the X shoulder peices hook them in the middle and the two top parts. the waist should connect to the lowest hook. i hope i helped! i dont have any ideas on how to actually make the shell tho..sry!

=^.^=
I Just Want Something I Can Never Have.
~I Love Trent Reznor~

Laura92

IDEA!!!

Post by Laura92 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:08 am

ok

If you live someplace where it gets snow, you're in luck! Just go to a toy store or someplace and buy a sled-saucer thing! If not, go on ebay. you can get a green one or just paint it green. Its lightweight and easy to deal with! Have fun.
See me at: Kamecon '04 (Feb28, NH) ~ Anime Boston '04 (Apr9-11, MA) ~ PortconMaine '04 (June 17 only, ME) ~ Connecticon '04 (July 18, CT.) ~ Arisia '05 (Jan 16?, MA) ~ Kamecon '05 (Feb, NH) ~ AnimeBoston '05 (May 11-13, MA) ~ PortconMaine '05 (June24-27, ME) ~ Connecticon '05 (July, CT)

|c|o|s|p|L|a|y| is my anti-drug!

OnyxRainDrop

Post by OnyxRainDrop » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:31 pm

I'm just gonne throw this out for the heck of it, look around for Ninja Turtle halloween costumes, you can sew one together if you can find the pattern ;)

mediaeval

Post by mediaeval » Sun May 30, 2004 2:34 pm

To tell you the truth, I made my little brother's turtle costume for some sort of animal day when he was in kindergarden. ^^ It was quite amusing. I used a huge green salad bowl, and it worked perfectly. But then again, you're most likely older than 5, and a salad bowl may not exactly fit. :lol:
Ciao!
"We found a survivor!"

'And you shot her?!'

". . . .She was crazed. She bit me. . . ."