Kimono Pattern?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
lolita_otaku

Kimono Pattern?

Post by lolita_otaku » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:36 pm

Hi, I wanted to make a relatively simple kimono for a friend while I'm on winter break. I wanted to make Puu's kimono from samurai champloo ( I hope I spelled that right )
Anyway could anyone tell me were I could find a sewing pattern ? I have hear they exist but have yet to see one.
-thanks

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:24 pm

Yes, there's a pretty easy pattern by Butterick. It has long, flowing sleeves. You can look it up here: http://www.mccall.com/
I should be in the 'costumes' section of the Butterick area. I've made the kid-size version, and it was very straightforward. The amount of material that you're moving around can present a challenge, but the pattern itself is easy to follow.

Simplicity 5839 has the shorter sleeves plus the short jacket and some other accessories. I have the pattern but haven't used it yet so I can't say whether it's easy to make. Good luck!

lolita_otaku

Post by lolita_otaku » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:50 pm

mrs.tomoe wrote:Yes, there's a pretty easy pattern by Butterick. It has long, flowing sleeves. You can look it up here: http://www.mccall.com/
I should be in the 'costumes' section of the Butterick area. I've made the kid-size version, and it was very straightforward. The amount of material that you're moving around can present a challenge, but the pattern itself is easy to follow.

Simplicity 5839 has the shorter sleeves plus the short jacket and some other accessories. I have the pattern but haven't used it yet so I can't say whether it's easy to make. Good luck!
Thank you so much for the help ^_^

ChibiNeko

Post by ChibiNeko » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:58 pm

contrary to what you might believe, a kimono is relatively simple to put together. I've used that pattern, but for accuracy reasons, I really didn't like it. On a kimono, the front panels are divided into two sections that the pattern doesn't show you, and usually you'll want a kimono that's longer than you are tall to get that fold around the hips (personally, I like that fold ut it is a pain in the butt to put up, and not neccessary). Also not, that if you are a girl you'll want to leave the back of the sleeves open rather than sewing them shut like the pattern tells you to, and the sides of the kimono under the arms are also open. Plus, although this is also not neccessary, some kimonos have a rounded edge on the front of the sleeves.
This is just based on that first kimono I made from that same pattern, and the differences I noticed when my friends and I got a few of our own. Hope this helps :)
"I don't think sumos normally eat radios."
--Wagener Sensei

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:21 am

You're welcome.

That's right, the Butterick pattern is a simplified costume. The Simplicity one is a little more authentic, but I think it still doesn't have the seams for traditional 13" fabric. But the patterns are still ok for starting out because you get the basic effect without having to go into superfine detail. ^_^

Katasha

Post by Katasha » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:15 am

http://www.folkwear.com/113.html
Amazing pattern. Not the most simple too use mind you but it is accurate. It doenst have a sholder seam. it has a yoke on the inside around the neck, 2 front panels. Its just an amazing pattern.

I made this useing it. Mind you I made this whole thing in 5 hours so it needs some work but that pattern was just great. I got it off of e bay for cheep like $15.

lolita_otaku

Post by lolita_otaku » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:26 pm

Katasha wrote:http://www.folkwear.com/113.html
Amazing pattern. Not the most simple too use mind you but it is accurate. It doenst have a sholder seam. it has a yoke on the inside around the neck, 2 front panels. Its just an amazing pattern.

I made this useing it. Mind you I made this whole thing in 5 hours so it needs some work but that pattern was just great. I got it off of e bay for cheep like $15.
wow pretty fabric :shock:

Shiranui

Post by Shiranui » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:29 am

I believe there's a kimono pattern in my free pattern list. Just look for my thread in here :)

psychotictears

Post by psychotictears » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:34 am

I was also looking for a kimono pattern, so thanks to all who posted here.
You've been a help to me as well.
Saraa

lolita_otaku

Post by lolita_otaku » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:47 am

Shiranui wrote:I believe there's a kimono pattern in my free pattern list. Just look for my thread in here :)
*huggs* :D

Shiranui

Post by Shiranui » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:40 am

Are you still in need of something for a kimono? I made one tonight and I have the easiest solution the world has ever seen. ^_^ I found it on a german page, but I could easily re-write it in english and do some illustrations. It's even the perfect project for someone who has never sewn anything before! ^_^

lolita_otaku

Post by lolita_otaku » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:58 pm

Shiranui wrote:Are you still in need of something for a kimono? I made one tonight and I have the easiest solution the world has ever seen. ^_^ I found it on a german page, but I could easily re-write it in english and do some illustrations. It's even the perfect project for someone who has never sewn anything before! ^_^
Oh yes please that would be just wonderfull! :D

Shiranui

Post by Shiranui » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:36 pm

No problem, I'll do and scan and post it tomorrow, as I am a school student and it's already 11:37 pm here. ^_~

Shiranui

Post by Shiranui » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:11 pm

I'm sorry, I can't post the tutorial tonight. ;_; I have it all finished, but I'm staying over at a friend's because of school stuff and she doesn't have a scanner. You'll get it tomorrow, I promise. ^_^

By the way, I wrote it to be completely easy to understand even for total beginners...because I don't know how experienced you are and so anyone can use it. ^~^

Shiranui

Post by Shiranui » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:31 am

Here it is, finally! Sorry for bein' late~ ;__;

Part 1:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8347/kimono16zd.jpg

Part 2:

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3835/kimono23uo.jpg

Notes:
~This pattern is not historical correct, e.g. it has shoulder seams and no back seams, but it's so easy!
~ You can make the body & sleeves until down to your ankles which would be historical correct...I didn't do it because I was running out of fabric.
~ You'll need about 2,50m of light, non-elastic fabric.
~ You'll need an obi (belt) ... I have no instructions for these that are historical correct, but I guess a simple rectangle piece of fabric would be fine.
~ What about adding lace or bells or ribbons or sleeves of another color or ...

A final request: Please dont re-distribute this... ;_; If you want to spread it, give anyone a link to this thread. I'm gonna put it on my dA account in a few days.

lolita_otaku

Post by lolita_otaku » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:18 pm

Shiranui wrote:Here it is, finally! Sorry for bein' late~ ;__;

Part 1:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8347/kimono16zd.jpg

Part 2:

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3835/kimono23uo.jpg

Notes:
~This pattern is not historical correct, e.g. it has shoulder seams and no back seams, but it's so easy!
~ You can make the body & sleeves until down to your ankles which would be historical correct...I didn't do it because I was running out of fabric.
~ You'll need about 2,50m of light, non-elastic fabric.
~ You'll need an obi (belt) ... I have no instructions for these that are historical correct, but I guess a simple rectangle piece of fabric would be fine.
~ What about adding lace or bells or ribbons or sleeves of another color or ...

A final request: Please dont re-distribute this... ;_; If you want to spread it, give anyone a link to this thread. I'm gonna put it on my dA account in a few days.
Thank you very much for taking the time to write and draw this all out its very helpfull and well done :o

PinqFuu

Post by PinqFuu » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:51 am

just to let you know, I made my kimono from the butterick pattern for my Fuu costume. It turned out nicely.
http://cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/detail ... erid=27038
it's hard being pinq