Wings?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
MoonlessGarden

Wings?

Post by MoonlessGarden » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:52 pm

I'm looking into making an original design costume, but I've run across one problem -- my design calls for 2 pairs of wings, both of which are very tall/long and not wide.

I don't have any reference images, just sketches off the the computer right now. But, I guess my biggest question is....

Are there any really good places to buy white feather wings? (preferably not too expensive... college student = no money)
Are there places that make custom wings?

If those are both no, or are too expensive..

What is the best way to go about making my own wings?

Any help is greatly appreciated ;-;

Angie

Fialchar

Post by Fialchar » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:38 am

Well, certain cosplayers commission other items for people, such as Pegasus Maiden. I looked at her ACP Store, and the only ones I could find were these http://www.acparadise.com/display.php?a=12716&t=1&id=51 but maybe if you contact her, something could be aowrked out?

Well, I wish you luck in any route you decide to go ^_^

Become the wind, the divine wind, and into the darkness disappear..

~†t+-來~§ђǻŁǻ₣ï~來-+t†~

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:02 pm

Well, I make wings, but I haven't sold any before.

Would it be possible for you to scan one of the sketches, or to make a simple one on Paint?

Trying to buy wings somewhere is generally a bad idea, because most people seem to believe that wings look like cardboard with feathers glued on in a flat layer.

About making your own wings, however, here is a thread (with links to other threads) that might help. If you need more help than that, just go ahead and ask.
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:40 pm

I have seen some nice ones at some costume shops for $30. They were only a 3ft wing span, but they look rather movie quality.

sesshomaru-sama

Post by sesshomaru-sama » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:20 pm

This year for CN Anime I cosplayed Access Time from Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and I made my own wings. They're turned out really good. We simply got big pieces of cardboard (from home depot and stores like that), and traced my wing pattern onto the cardboard. Next you cut out the wings so that you now would have 4 card board wings, instead of two. Get some wire, like the wire they use in floral decorations and cut out two rectangular peices of cardboard, place about 8 peices of wire running through the rectangular , and hot glue it shut. The next step is to glue the ends of the wire, sticking out of the rectangular pieces, onto the wings, placing the wire ends in between to cardboard angel wings and hot glueing it together. Next, do the same for the wings on the opposite side. Afterwards, glue on the feathers. :D Confusing enough? If you want more help PM me or e-mail me at darktenshi21@hotmail.com
-~*"My Story..." Cosplay and Commissions*~-
-I guess that’s the way the story goes, Will it ever make sense, Somebodies got to Know-

Captaincougar

Post by Captaincougar » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:57 pm

These links may or not help

http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memori ... filter=all

Sorry if they don't! ^^''
Rawr! X3

archangeli

Post by archangeli » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:35 pm

I would say make your own wings - you can control exactly the size, height and wing-span of them.

I ordered my feathers from cosplaysupplies.com -the ones that i recommend are the 12-inch turkey feathers. You get the most "coverage" for your money, and they are gorgeous feathers.

My sister and I made a set of wings for Anime North last year. It was our first time and they turned out beautifully.

WINGS

Post by WINGS » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:58 am

funfoam, wire, foamboard, tracing paper, parchment paper, glue, hot glue, krazy glue(careful don't get stuck), sheer fabric ect. Making wings is up to your imagination. It is all trial and error. I once saw a girl who had made a suu costume and used tracing paper for the wings, she had made the form with wire and then glued the tracing paper on there, it looked really nice. You can get inexspensive materials and work with them. I hope this helps a lil.
WINGS