Pattern or no pattern?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Soyokaze

Pattern or no pattern?

Post by Soyokaze » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:36 am

My anime club is going to a convention and this being my first con I've decided to cosplay. This's the first time I've ever tried to make my own costume so I don't really know what I'm doing. My question is, do you always need a pattern? My one friend says that she's not going to use one and that they aren't neccessary but I was wondering what you guys thought.

Fialchar

Post by Fialchar » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:14 pm

If you've never made a costume before, they can definately come in handy. Keep in mind, though, that patterns aren't out there for e-v-e-r-ything, and some things are simple enough that'd it'd probably be easier without a pattern.

Become the wind, the divine wind, and into the darkness disappear..

~†t+-來~§ђǻŁǻ₣ï~來-+t†~

ChibiNeko

Post by ChibiNeko » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:20 pm

Personally, I don't like patterns. Weirdly enough, I think they make sewing more complicated.
"I don't think sumos normally eat radios."
--Wagener Sensei

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:30 pm

I hate patterns, they take too long to use and are often confusing. I find it easier just to take copious amounts of measurements, plan (almost obsessively), and make sketches before I do anything with the fabric.

If you're going for something difficult that you don't already have an example of (it's nice to be able to look at existing clothing as an example of how things fit together), a pattern would probably be the best option, especially because you're new at it.
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

Captaincougar

Post by Captaincougar » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:05 pm

Well you could just run around looking at Thrift Stores for strange items that'd fit a costume and even look at other patterns from your own clothes. Trial and error is all it is. ^^
Rawr! X3

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:48 am

If you've never made clothes from scratch, use patterns. There are easy ones which are usually labeled as such with words like "sew easy," or there's even a small series of "for Dummies" patterns. Once you get the basics down, you can decide whether you want to continue using more complicated patterns or not. Don't start off with a pattern for a fitted blouse with collar & sleeves, or you'll get frustrated right away. Try a simple tank top or pull-on shorts/skirt first.