Help with Chrono's coat from Chrono Crusade.

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
twstdcyphr

Help with Chrono's coat from Chrono Crusade.

Post by twstdcyphr » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:30 pm

Hey, I'm going to cosplay as Chrono from Chrono Crusade and I need help on how to make hie coat. If you can help me out, that will be great.

twstdcyphr

Post by twstdcyphr » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:32 pm

please reply.

Skull Rabbit

Post by Skull Rabbit » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:34 pm

Well, you can start by posting a photo of the character :)

runa27

Post by runa27 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:21 pm

There's a whole bunch of Chrono Crusade pictures here:

http://www.animecubed.com/galleries/chronocrusade/

Chrono's the one with the purple hair and red coat. :wink:

You could also try googling Chrno in the Google Image Search. Not "Chrono". Chrno. That's the original Japanese spelling of the title, and you'll get more accurate results that way. :wink:

-Runa27
*In need of an obi, because one should really ask if the kimono comes with an obi BEFORE they pay for it! ;_;

Fialchar

Post by Fialchar » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:33 am

Anyone else think they did a better job with Chrono on Chrono Trigger (SNES)

Become the wind, the divine wind, and into the darkness disappear..

~†t+-來~§ђǻŁǻ₣ï~來-+t†~

twstdcyphr

Post by twstdcyphr » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:20 pm

Thanks for the pictures, but what I also need is what materials will I need. I am also new at cosplaying and making costumes, so how do I attach is cape and make is coat tail bend back. Please help.

runa27

Post by runa27 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:12 pm

twstdcyphr wrote:Thanks for the pictures, but what I also need is what materials will I need. I am also new at cosplaying and making costumes, so how do I attach is cape and make is coat tail bend back. Please help.
Weeeell, I'm no expert - I'm new to cosplay myself - but...

From what I've seen in the manga and the anime, Chrono's coat isn't made of a slick or shiny fabric, so that's a start. You could probably get away with using a cheap(?), non-slick, non-shiny fabric like cotton or polyester... for one, not least because if you mess up, you've wasted less money. :wink:

Although I don't sew, I do know that for something as complex as that coat, it's probably a good idea to sketch out the sizes and shapes of the pieces and how they fit together before you start cutting and sewing.

As for the coattail, here's a trick I found out about recently: any time you want to include a feature in a costume that "defies gravity" (as Chrono's coat tends to do)... use thin wire on the inside.

Basically, my advice would be to sew semi-stiff wire (pipe cleaners, maybe?) into the edges of the coat that are supposed to stand up like that, bending them into the appropriate positions and then stitching them in. True, it might get bent out of shape while you're walking around in the costume, but it should be relatively easy to fix that - just bend it back. :)

Again, just ideas. The wire thing I would recommend though, for the coattails. I've found a couple of people on here who swear by it for things like ears and wings, and it's easier to hide wire in the seams of a coat than in translucent wings, I would think. :wink:

-Runa27
*In need of an obi, because one should really ask if the kimono comes with an obi BEFORE they pay for it! ;_;

twstdcyphr

Post by twstdcyphr » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:02 pm

Thanks for the help. I'll definenty use the advice. Anyone else have any suggestions?

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:15 pm

If you're going to use wire to support the coat-tails (such as they are), make the hem like a tube to insert the wire. Then use some heavier-gauge wire... try looking for thicker jewelry wire (baling wire would be too thick, I think), but it depends entirely on what kind of fabric you use.
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:18 pm

Honestly, my friend did the wire thing in the coat and it really didn't look natural or good in most photos. >.> It still looked nice, mind you, but sometimes the anime gravity thing should just stay in the anime.
A mouth full of popcorn will only get you so far in life~

My Lj also features various Wig tutorials now!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/hemuloki_sama
Please be sure to visit my ACP store!
http://www.acparadise.com/display.php?a=10454&t=1

Fialchar

Post by Fialchar » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:54 am

What do you think about flat plasctic pieces sewn into the coat/jacket? They'd give a more natural feel/look than wire, and always spring bak when pushed against, something wire tends not to do. >_>

~†t+-來~§ђǻŁǻ₣ï~來-+t†~

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:24 am

Hmmmm, I don't know. I've never even heard of that being done. I would try it out just to see.
A mouth full of popcorn will only get you so far in life~

My Lj also features various Wig tutorials now!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/hemuloki_sama
Please be sure to visit my ACP store!
http://www.acparadise.com/display.php?a=10454&t=1

Fialchar

Post by Fialchar » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:03 pm

Just an idea from the top of my head, but it seems like it'd work.. if you could find the right size/thickness pieaces >.O

~†t+-來~§ђǻŁǻ₣ï~來-+t†~