Help with Sanosuke's Sword

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
null

Help with Sanosuke's Sword

Post by null » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:10 am

I have a basic pattern for Sanosuke's Giant sword from Rurouni Kenshin, but what would be the best materials to use and how long exactly does it need to be?
PH34R MY L337 N3KK1D SK1LLZ!

null

Post by null » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:20 pm

so its a 11' sword? hrmmmmmm...I'm gonna be coming from austin, but I'll be driving a 4runner, or a cherokee...hmmmmmm...so you would suggest styrofoam as the best thing? okies...*gets all busylike*

OnyxRainDrop

Post by OnyxRainDrop » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:36 am

Just as a hint, I would also check your con's weapons policy, I know some cons won't allow over a certain height for weapons and props. ;) Also, try foam board...it's stiff and it won't crumble like some styrofoam will.

null

Post by null » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:32 am

well, I'm going to AKon, so if anyone knows the rules there, that would be awesome. Also thanks for the foamboard idea!

OnyxRainDrop

Post by OnyxRainDrop » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:34 pm

have you tried looking at the A-kon website? On their cosplay info they state:
PROPS
What goes on the stage with you, comes off the stage with you. For safety reasons things like confetti, fireworks, flash paper or other forms of pyrotechnics, rose petals, water, and other small messy objects are strictly forbidden from the stage area.

The convention is being held in an airport hotel, simply put there are many props that normally would be allowed, and in this day an age could cause authorities to come down on you like a month of bad Mondays. be aware of this when planning your costume and props. On stage, (non firing) toy weapons will be allowed without peacebonding but be aware that any ‘live’ weapons will result in an immediate eviction. Yes, I will be checking.

That's all I could find. Also, for size, I would just try and make it look proportional to you. Animators have the trick of making characters look twice their height when really they are actually rather short. If the sword it a foot above Sanosuke's head, then it should be a foot higher than your head. Get what I'm saying? Good luck!

null

Post by null » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:23 pm

sweet! thanks a lot!

OnyxRainDrop

Post by OnyxRainDrop » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:03 pm

anytime, my friend ^^