More help please!

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
A-20

More help please!

Post by A-20 » Thu May 05, 2005 10:30 am

Ok, I got an idea just to save me some money and possibly time. Last year for Halloween,I made a crappy Farfarello costume, and well,I figured I could just go ahead and fix it up better,but I don't exactly how to fix it. I can get better pants,shoes, and accessories easily enough.But his shirt,that is what I have trouble on fixing because it doesn't look right in the first place. I couldn't cut and sew the shirt the way I wanted because of the fear of messing it up without guidance. So I pinned it in a fashion similar to his.Now I want to add extra buttons and make it look more like his shirt..

Any suggestions on how to make it like his?
Oh and does anyone know what kind of make-up I could use for the cuts? I don't own any make-up and since I'm on my own, I don't know what kind of make-up would be good and stay on long.I'm very ignorant when it comes to make-up ^^;;;

Farfarello

Schwarz

Upside down Farf

Oh,anyone know some kind of material I can use for his knives?They aren't flat and sharp bladed like normal knives.They are rounded.

~Thanks
YAY~! Pillow fight! XD
Run Goku! RUN!

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Thu May 05, 2005 2:30 pm

Use a rzor and cut the stiching off from the arms... CARFULLY! You'll eventually be able to do armless with a Hem already made. Use Velcrow for the vest. The Velcrow can be the sticker or iron on kind. place like a 1" peice where the buttons should be. Just sew on the buttons or use a button-mate (A really niffty tool). That should work.

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Thu May 05, 2005 3:56 pm

Use a rzor and cut the stiching off from the arms... CARFULLY!
You would choose the most dangerous way to do something, wouldn't you, Sterling? (kidding, kidding)

If you're accident prone like some people are, you'd probably be better off just using scissors, and going at the hem from inside (turn it inside out). Snip one stitch and pull out as many next to it (one at a time with the tip of the scissors) that you can. Repeat. Then either hand-stitch or hot glue (yes, I have done this before- it's not a stress point so it will work) in an EVEN line (or else the glue will spread and look odd) to make a hem so it won't ravel.
As for the knives- skewers or something? Or painted, sharpened pencils with a handle attatched, if you wanted to go uber-ghetto. XD
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

Pokegirl

Post by Pokegirl » Fri May 06, 2005 5:24 pm

why not use a seem ripper ?

A-20

Post by A-20 » Sat May 07, 2005 6:39 am

Seam ripper? I can always check my mom's sewing stuff to see if she has anything I can use..
YAY~! Pillow fight! XD
Run Goku! RUN!

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Sat May 07, 2005 7:47 am

^^; I can never find my seam ripper, so I just use scissors. Either works, though.
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Sat May 07, 2005 9:20 am

A-20 wrote:Seam ripper? I can always check my mom's sewing stuff to see if she has anything I can use..
She probably has one since it's a pretty basic tool. Be careful though, because the tip is pointy.

For the knives, you could try cutting the correct length off the blade of a toy sword like this: http://www.anytimecostumes.com/costumes/00174111.html
Say you need a 10-inch blade so measure 17 or 18 inches from the tip of the toy, and cut. Wrap the lower 7 or 8 inches with tape or whatever to be the handle of your knife. Add any details; paint the blade if needed.

Or you could try modifying this type of toy: http://www.anytimecostumes.com/costumes/00351314.html
by cutting off the extra bits and painting the blade silver.

There are also round files at the hardware store that might work if they're the right size and not too heavy. They're real metal though so they might not be permitted at some conventions with strict weapons policies.

A-20

Post by A-20 » Thu May 12, 2005 9:36 am

Ok,thanks! Those are some great ideas. I think I'll be able to modify it just enough to make it not so crappy. ^^;;
YAY~! Pillow fight! XD
Run Goku! RUN!

A-20

Post by A-20 » Tue May 17, 2005 10:13 am

Ok, just a quick question. I came up with yet another idea for a costume. ^^;;;; I don't know which I should concentrate on making. Farfie's costume or Max from DC2's costume. Here's a pic of him, let me know what y'all think.

This one was found off the net:

This was taken by my camera ^^;;;

Max and Monica
YAY~! Pillow fight! XD
Run Goku! RUN!