Lulu FFX! Fabric questions and paturns.

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Akumu_Trinket

Lulu FFX! Fabric questions and paturns.

Post by Akumu_Trinket » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:46 pm

Ok I have helped my friends with costumes and such in the past but I’m undertaking the whole Lulu costume, and I want to get it to the detail! Some of my questions if you can answer any please do, all sugestions are welcome! Also anyone with left over paturn desgins I was wondering if you could send me the paturns that you used possibly?

• 1. As for the flowers around the hem and sleaves I was thinking along the lines of fabric paint?
    2. For the material maybe black denim?
    3. Hair bits bended coat hangers with spray paint and clay cousotom beads?

I have a year to complete this costume but I would like to get my stuff in order and start purchasing materials early. I was also thinking about the black denim is easy to work with compaired to what appears to be the actual fabric of her costume. If you give me tips I will love you!! I'm just in a mess because this is the first costume I'm doing for ME and not a friend and I really want it to turn out wonderful.

I found a link to a girl who seemed to work out the kinks with a few minor changes but anything ANYTHING is very much loved :mrgreen:

http://www.angelicstar.net/cosplay/lulu.html

Fiona

Post by Fiona » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:06 am

I am also making the lulu costume, and I have a month! Oops. Initially I was going to buy a corset online because I wanted actual boning in it, but they are about $40 so I am making my own. For the top portion I got a thick denim material because I wanted it to be tight and secure. I also picked up some XL eyehooks for the back. For the skirt I got a lighter material that is more flowing. The reason I did this is because anything heavier wouldn't lay nicely, and a skirt made of belts is going to be heavy enough that you won't want anything extra holding you down. For the sleeve bit I am thinking about just using lace cutouts. I heard that it takes a while, but I have also heard that it turns out really nicely. I was also thinking about using coathangers for the hair, although I believe one of them looks a lot like a chopstick. My sister is a genius when working with metal, so I think I'm going to ask her to do that for me. If you have any questions or ideas, please let me know! It would be nice if we could collaborate!
"But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'

Akumu_Trinket

Post by Akumu_Trinket » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:57 am

Oh thank you so much, but will the lighter fabric get all bunched up? I was worried about the train on it, it drags quite a bit about a foot or two I think and I was worried that If I didn’t use a stiff enough material for the bottom that the belt section would ruin the smooth looking round effect of the back of the dress. I mean pull together the sides a bit.

I’m having issues thinking about how wide to make the slit in the front, she has the thigh high lace sock thingys on her legs and I got those at hot topic, easy and inexpensive. For shoes I have another problem, I have no idea what shoes she has on! A black sandal type was the best I could come up with as a possibility.

I think it would be great if we could collaborate I mean you only have a month! If you draw up any patterns or anything I’m adding you to my AIM list or you could send through e-mail. (My Aim: Theslaveofanubis My Email: stormy89us@yahoo.com) If you run into any problems it would be awesome if you could tell me so I didn’t end up making the same mistake! The construction on my costume is postponed for the moment being, I’m going to start collecting materials after I find a new job and get up some money X_X

Thanks for replying I look forward to plotting this out together ^_^

Fiona

Post by Fiona » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:28 am

It's not really light weight material, it's more of a satin-ish material but not as shiney. In order to make it fall nice I am making the skirt of belts a completely different skirt with a material back. I think that would make it look flat. For shoes I don't know what she has on, but I'm going to be wearing these sandels that I have that make me a bit taller but they are really comfortable. I figure the the dress will be long enough to hide the shoes. Hope to talk to you on aim!
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'

Juri Arisugawa

Post by Juri Arisugawa » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:45 pm

If your so worried about the material bunching up...I recommend interfacing. Especially around the edges in which the belts are to be attached. Since it needs to support the weight of the belts, heavy weight interfacing works nicely about 4 to 5 inches wide around the skirt opening while keeping the rest of the dress nice and light.

Ashley
"Remember darling, nothing's too impossible."

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:41 pm

If you can find that dark grey that seems to be what her dress is made of, would you please tell me where you got it? I need some heavy-ish fabric in that colour.
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

Akumu_Trinket

Post by Akumu_Trinket » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:39 am

Our local fabric store is the place I go, it has everything! Joe-annes Fabrics...

Akumu_Trinket

Post by Akumu_Trinket » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:42 am

Interfacing? Hmmm didn't think of that much but I'll run it by my grandmother (who is going to help with some of the more advanced bits) she is really old but she is a master seamstress. Thanks for the tip though ^_^

Tia

Post by Tia » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:19 am

You really need to make a full-on corset for the top, that just has lacing in the back. You'll need to have a friend help you get into it when you want to wear the costume. I suggest that you use something heavy for the backing, and use the same material for the front as the rest of the dress. I have seen a lot of people who do the corset and dress separate, and I think that works fine. You'll probably want to get a pattern for the corset, if it's your first time. Also, on the trim, paint can get messy and is hard to do accurately. I have heard that a lot of Lulu cosplayers have had success from buying bridal lace, cutting the pieces so they look like hers, and then dying it to the right shade. You could make it like an applique, attaching it with heat n bond (you can buy it in sheets, I think). Make sure you use enough belts. Make sure that your underskirt is stiff enough to support the belts. I think you should leave the portion behind the belts open, though. She's supposed to have a little bit of leg showing on her upper left leg. You can make the fur and sleeves separate pieces, too, if you want, but I don't have any ideas on keep the fur in place if you do that. Her shoes are actually moogle slippers, but most people don't make them. Just wear some comfy black shoes.
It's not love that makes the world go 'round; it's fanboys and fangirls.

Fiona

Post by Fiona » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:22 am

We should talk soon. I have been working on my costume, and the corset is nearly complete. I worked with a few things, and now it's looking really good. I just have to finish putting on the fur. Let me know if you need any help!

toboekyo

Post by toboekyo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:47 am

OMG yay this has helped me lol^_^ Im so glad that a few other people have done Lulu, I am just in the getting started fase but im going to start soon.
~If it smells like a cat and looks like a cat then it must be a catgirl ^.~ Meow