Looking for Help with my workflow and Material!

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Warpavp2

Looking for Help with my workflow and Material!

Post by Warpavp2 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:02 pm

Hey everyone! I'm new to Cosplaying/Costume Creation (don't get mad at me if there are specific things and terms that I don't know :D)! I'm looking for some help on my workflow for a very large project (not in costume size, but detail and work).

I like to go very high detail and construction, but I've run into some issues on two topics:

Costume Strengt/Appeal
and
Costume Details/Assembly

Let me tell you what I'm doing/My current workflow. I'm making a creature based off the Hive from Destiny specifically the Thralls. They have Chitinous armor and fleshy looking interiors. I am currently WiP for my concept art on what my "blueprints" will look like to make it wearable. But the basic idea is:

-Spandex as the First Layer (Painted with detail/lights/darks as a base for the body)
-Shell/Armor for the main body parts (For the 3D look and realism)
-A Head Piece with LEDS for light emissions AND MOVEABLE JAW lol
-In-between Joints I want to add Spandex Stitched onto spandex with either latex or -something on the spandex for a more fleshy look under the armor/chitinous shell. (See further below).

But I need suggestions and tips for cost efficient ways to make the shell armor and the spandex between the joints.

My current workflow idea for the body parts/arms/legs/fingers:
-Base pattern drawn on masking tape
-Pattern copied to Craft Foam Or is there something better? Worbla and Wonderflex are too expensive to buy in bulk, I'm kinda on a budget lol (And further below I have enough for fiberglass, but you know what I mean)
-Craft Foam heated and shaped to armor shape
-Reinforce Craft Foam with possibly layers of Gesso and Masking Tape to keep strength and shape. Suggestions for sealers or strength here?
-Layer the armor with Plaster for strength and durability Suggestion seriously needed here: What can I substitute plaster for that is cost efficient and doesnt flake/break when dropped?
-Layer Fiberglass ontop of the Plastered Armor Is this smart to do? I've never done Fiberglass before but I hear it holds so well. Is it durable enough to run around a lot in and not worry about breaking/flaking?
(For all layers I will sand where needed)
-Add detail using paperclay or Anything else for the detail, suggestions?
(I will seal on wherever needed for painting)
-Paint
-Finish
-Attatch to spandex using many velcro pieces/Super Glue Better glue? Suggestions :D!!

So here are my follow up Questions:

Got any suggestions for the bold spots?

Is there something I can put on the Fiberglass layer (if that is still okay in the workflow) to keep the thread look from showing? Or when sanding fiberglass does the threaded stuff smooth out?

Should I use a thin pair of gloves for the hands and then wear that over the spandex because there's so many joints?

Thanks! I'll ask more when they come up, ANY HELP is appreciated, as I said this is my first very organic/constructed project ever. I like it because it doesn't need to be perfect, just durable and interesting.

penlowe

Re: Looking for Help with my workflow and Material!

Post by penlowe » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:14 pm

sounds like you need a big outdoor/ well ventilated work space. Fiberglass is awesome, but it is not something you should do in your kitchen. It has a steep learning curve due to the expense of the materials, it's rather toxic (absolutely must use a respirator-yes even outside it's that bad) and it is indeed glass, so good covering clothing is required.

For the spandex parts, I think a unitard or other purchased parts will probably suffice because you intend to modify it significantly. Latex isn't cheap, but it will bond with fabric nicely. If the expense of that is too much go with fabric paints and lay them on thick. To use fabric paint on stretch fabrics, the garment needs to be at least partially stretched to it's final shape when it's being painted, otherwise it will strain and tear like ordinary paint.