Help finding a costume

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
snowangel8504

Help finding a costume

Post by snowangel8504 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:29 pm

This year will be my second con that I will be going to and I have an idea of who I want to dress up as. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a reasonably priced Mad Moxxi from Borderlands costume. Or does anyone have any tips on how to make one. I'm on a tight budget at the moment and hoping to find the costume without setting me back hundreds of dollars. Any help is appreciated! :D

ShinraSpy

Re: Help finding a costume

Post by ShinraSpy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:13 pm

That depends ... do you have any sewing experience? If you have any at all, I would suggest making the costume yourself. I've found that costumes are WAY cheaper when made yourself rather than buying online. Plus, you have control over the quality and accuracy of the costume. When you buy online, you run the risk of receiving a costume that's inaccurate, poorly made, and worst of all--non-returnable!

In that case, you could start with a pattern. This looks like a REALLY complex costume, so you'd have to alter the hell out of the pattern. But at least you'd have something to start with. Maybe this one from Simplicity:
http://www.simplicity.com/p-1974-costumes.aspx

You could definitely work with that jacket. Get some cheap muslin and keep altering 'til you get it just right. Sometimes cosplay is all about trial and error.

I hope this helps. If you don't want to sew it from scratch, then I wouldn't know where to buy one. I can only tell you that I have good experience using HelloCosplay.com. Good luck!