MY KURONEKO IS HEADLESS!

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Lily Lighting

MY KURONEKO IS HEADLESS!

Post by Lily Lighting » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:12 pm

Ya...as you can see from the subject, next anime convention I'm going to..I'm going as Kuroneko. I got the bottom of the costume done (black kitty...ya) but I don't know how to do the head! I don't want it to be some painted on thing or some hoody that isnt really a head. I want it to be a...well...non-mask...non-painted on...non-hoody thing.

Example- Mascots. You know how they put the little head over there head to pull off the look? Please tell me your with me because I can't think how to explain it anymore.

If you want to talk to me my SN is XliveXluvXdieX. Please someone respond! :D I'll love you forever ever ever eveeeeer! ^^

Dark_Tiger

Post by Dark_Tiger » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:40 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Well, there's the hard way, which involves building a lattice out of your favorite material (steel, wickerwork, cardboard) and covering that with felt. If it were me, and I had time to burn, I'd use wire mesh (get it at your local hobby or art shop) over a aluminum frame, coat that with either fiberglass or a burlap plaster cast (take burlap, dip in plaster, cover wirework) and cover that with the fabric of my choice.

Then there's the heavy option, which involves using a trash can or something similar, cutting it to a close fit, and stuffing the rest until it looks good.

Either way, seeing is a problem. I'd make the mouth out of some of that plastic mesh sold for embroidery, can't think of the name, spray paint it, and hope for the best.
Real men sew!

Tigerye Productions: Props, weapons, and much more. I can do that!
"Ebay is the best bet as they are unfeeling there and cold. " - Hemuloki

Laura92

Post by Laura92 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:17 pm

Make a globe-like object for the head out of chickenwire (NOT Reccomended unless you want a ripped up face) or a light wood or plastic that can hold, then cover in felt as necessary. I've found that doubling over Tulle a few times and then putting it behind the eyes (tape/sew/glue to the main structure) works wonders....you can see out but they can't see in!
See me at: Kamecon '04 (Feb28, NH) ~ Anime Boston '04 (Apr9-11, MA) ~ PortconMaine '04 (June 17 only, ME) ~ Connecticon '04 (July 18, CT.) ~ Arisia '05 (Jan 16?, MA) ~ Kamecon '05 (Feb, NH) ~ AnimeBoston '05 (May 11-13, MA) ~ PortconMaine '05 (June24-27, ME) ~ Connecticon '05 (July, CT)

|c|o|s|p|L|a|y| is my anti-drug!

Dark_Tiger

Post by Dark_Tiger » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:50 pm

If you covered the inside of the chickenwire head with felt too, wouldn't that solve the ripped up face thing?

I dunno, I've never done a head like this before.
Real men sew!

Tigerye Productions: Props, weapons, and much more. I can do that!
"Ebay is the best bet as they are unfeeling there and cold. " - Hemuloki

Phanari

Post by Phanari » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:59 pm

Chicken wire and pasted-on fabric works miracles. ^_^
~Ari
God blesses us all in this world in many different ways!

Laura92

Post by Laura92 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:56 pm

Yea, see? Do that.
See me at: Kamecon '04 (Feb28, NH) ~ Anime Boston '04 (Apr9-11, MA) ~ PortconMaine '04 (June 17 only, ME) ~ Connecticon '04 (July 18, CT.) ~ Arisia '05 (Jan 16?, MA) ~ Kamecon '05 (Feb, NH) ~ AnimeBoston '05 (May 11-13, MA) ~ PortconMaine '05 (June24-27, ME) ~ Connecticon '05 (July, CT)

|c|o|s|p|L|a|y| is my anti-drug!

Phanari

Post by Phanari » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:35 pm

It's easy to do. You take the chicken wire, mold it into the shape of the head you desire, then you mache (optional, it just makes the process easier) and glue the fabric on it parts. It's as simple as that.
Of course.......after you're done with that, you just have to make the eyes, which seem hard, but they're actually quite easy. You take burlap or any other fabric with tiny holes you can see out of and paint it the colors of the eyes. Then you TIGHTLY attatch it to the inside of the eye.
~Ari
God blesses us all in this world in many different ways!