Help with Hermit fursuit cosplay! >w<

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Roxas-kitax

Help with Hermit fursuit cosplay! >w<

Post by Roxas-kitax » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:02 pm

I've been trying to figure out different ways of starting this fursuit...but I can't seem to make up my mind or haven't really thought things through yet. I've only made fursuits two times in my life...but I think there's room to learn some new techniques that'll help save money as well as feel more comfortable in the fursuit.

So what I'm trying to ask is...does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to start it? The main things that I have trouble with is how to make the head shaped in that form and hwo to begin with the green armor thing? I've never really had to do anything like this before...>w<

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. >w<

-Kitax

Bettsie

Re: Help with Hermit fursuit cosplay! >w<

Post by Bettsie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:59 am

That is a tricky costume. :P
Hrm. What I would do about the armor is pattern it in many sections. All of the raised pieces should be separate pattern pieces from the lower lying (sunken) armor. I would cut two of anything that is raised and sew them together, leaving the ends by the shoulder and waist open. It should make a grid of enclosed tubes. And don't worry about trying to flip them so the seam is inside...this will be a seam you like (trust me). We will use these seems to sew the lower portions in. Pin and sew the lower portions of the armor to the tube system (raised armor) and make sure to place them so the right sides are facing what you want people to see. Basically we are inlaying these pieces. Now you should have solid pieces with seams running like in the picture you gave. Stuff the "tubes" of the raised armor with cotton batting to get the raised effect. Once it is all stuffed sew together the pieces and walla! You should have a completed look with the raised armor effect! Don't forget to finish your interior seams and rip out any unwanted visible seams.
I hope that helps! :)