First time costume designer, help me please?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
realAniram

First time costume designer, help me please?

Post by realAniram » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:04 pm

I have recently found my old Threads of Fate (Dewprism) game, and have been wanting very badly to cosplay as princess Mint. I've never constructed clothes of any kind at all, and I think I may be in over my head a little bit, but I was hoping that with your (and an experienced real life friend's) support I could maybe get an okay costume out of this whole thing.

Really, what I need help with most is making my own patterns, or finding some pre-made I can use. I already searched google, so don't think I'm that lazy, please. Anyway, since it's getting late where I am, I guess I should sign off and wait for replies.

Thanks in advance!

Andichan

Re: First time costume designer, help me please?

Post by Andichan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:53 am

Well, first of all you aren't designing anything, that's a completely different field. Please don't think I'm being rude, but designers do a lot of work, and it's completely different from construction. Also, it would be really helpful if you post pics or links to pics. We can all use google, but sometimes characters have different outfits, etc.

Making patterns from scratch is reeeally hard and takes a lot of work even if you know what you're doing. I would suggest finding a pattern as close as possible to what you want to make and adjusting it. Make sure you check all the pattern companies (the ones that come to mind are simplicity, vogue, butterick, mccalls, and burda) to see if you missed anything. After that, you just have to jump in! I don't suggest using stretchy fabrics if you're a first-time sewer, they can be really frustrating. Also, I always make a mock-up of the garment before cutting into my "real" fabric. That way, you know if it'll fit or not! :)

good luck!
My costume design portfolio: http://www.pinkpandadesigns.weebly.com

My etsy - lolita clothing, costumes, and anime items: http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheLovelyItem