Cosplayer Melting Mirror > Costume of Hana from Gate 7
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
Clothing: This costume has 3 kimonos. The bottom layer kimono is red satin with short sleeves. The second kimono is gradient dyed charmeuse silk. I could only find already gradient dyed white to light blue on my shopping trip to NYC during NYCC last year, so I had to carefully plan how I cut out all the pieces. I partially assembles the kimono and gradient dyed it with multipurpose dyes, Rit and Dylon. FYI don’t trust the colour on the box if the dye is over 40 years old. Although my grandmother’s dye was just as good as the new stuff. The top layer kimono is white linen with hand painted sun patterns with gold fabric paint. I decided to make it out of linen because it has some texture and it looks like what a miko (priestess) would wear.I spent a good $20 on tassels. Red ones were hard to come by, and they needed to match the cord.
Hana does not have any shoes in this artwork, so I decided on heelless black pumps because it reminds me of okobo (geisha in training shoes) and it gave me ample clearance from the ground.
Headdress: The headdress lies on a felt kits hat that was covered in foam. All the pieces (5) are removable for easy transit. They are held on through wire - they are simply tie-wrapped on. I reinforced the base with wonderflex in certain spot and drilled holes to feed the wire through. The sun and moon are craft foam and styrene, with bbq skewers for the sun rays. The waves are model magic. The lotus flower is craft foam, heated to shape and painted with acrylic paint. The large lily-pad int he back is craftfoam with a styrene backing. The smaller lily-pads are 2 layers of wonderflex, with one layer roller over the other to get the lips. I embedded some wire to hook on the bead inside the wonderflex. It took several month o searching to find the right beads. The red ones could not be found anywhere so they are coloured straws. I initial spraypainted them but it ended up flaking off, so these are sharpie coloured straws. The string of beads clip and on/off with lobster claps.
Armour: The armour is made of layers styrene and craft foam (to give thickness). I drillled many, many holes with a dremel and fed through the cord. I created a support vest with twill that I wore under my gradient kimono. I doubled up some thick wire and formed it to my shoulder then curved it outwards to slip into slots at the back of the armour.
Wig: I bought a short black wig from Fantasy Sheep and added long black extensions to the sides. I styled the rest the morning of the convention within 10 mins. The bangs were cut with a razor comb, that I made with a blade and fine tooth comb.
Makeup: I was debating wether or no to do white facepaint for this costume. Many of Clamp's chapter cover artwork features snow white skin, where even the characters themselves would have to paint themselves to get that colour. I decided to go with the cover aesthetic and used Mehron creamblend facepaint, with manic panic white eyeshadow on top.
- Personal Thoughts:
- I love the look of the costume. I made this in a month or so. Miracles do happen!
- Styling Notes
- Added extensions for the long strands beside the face. Straight cut the sides and trimmed the bangs.
Add a Comment